Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
General Questions and Enquiries

Home Forums Savage Worlds – Core Rules & Savage Settings Hellfrost General Questions and Enquiries

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    McCurmudgeon
    Minion

Feel free to post any random questions you may have here.

Random questions of my own:
    Are there any big differences between Al-Shirkuh sphinxes and cryo-sphinxes apart from climate and coloration (and the empire ruling I guess)?

Maybe my memory is just off but I remember there being some sort of stat bonus for (or edges requiring) becoming a sword and lance knight? It may have just been I mentally made Hellfrost Hardened and Hardy have requirements of being a sword and lance knight respectively.

Champion of Chronos

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

Are there any big differences between Al-Shirkuh sphinxes and cryo-sphinxes apart from climate and coloration (and the empire ruling I guess)?

There are lots of differences – comparing the two bestiary descriptions and stat blocks shows them. Cryosphinxes, for instance, don’t have automatic priestly powers, whereas desert sphinxes aren’t as good at riddles. Cryosphinxes are smaller, physically weaker, and less hardy than their southern cousins. Northern sphinxes have batlike wings, while those of the desert dwellers are feathered.

If you’re talking in terms of culture and society, or want to know why the differences exist, everything I intend to write about cryosphinxes (aside from one brief mention in the Kingdoms of the Sphinxes Realm Guide that can be summed up as “the origins of cryosphinxes are a mystery”) is in the HF Bestiary or on p. 110 of the Gazetteer (under Shadowvale).

Maybe my memory is just off but I remember there being some sort of stat bonus for (or edges requiring) becoming a sword and lance knight? It may have just been I mentally made Hellfrost Hardened and Hardy have requirements of being a sword and lance knight respectively.

Your memory if off, I’m afraid. Advancing to a higher order requires “only” an extended trip into the ice and slaying a Hellfrost beast of appropriate Toughness. To get from Shield to Lance requires two such quests – one for each promotion.

Wiggy
    Triple Ace Games Creative Director
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

McCurmudgeon
    Minion

What would a Saxa city look like?

Champion of Chronos

Enno
    Henchman

Saxa are not much city dwellers, but prefer small villages. Towns and cities are often rooted in the Anari occupation, and are still characterized by it, even after centuries. Basically most houses are Anari stone architecture mixed with the saxan timber-frame.

Historical Jorvik might be a good example for such a town or city.

Realms, like Midmark and Royalmark, that stayed predominantely Saxan, know only few stone buildings and stick with their wooden longhouse, only bigger and often multi-story.

The buildings of the early rus or balts might be a good example.

The description of the architecture is often vague in the setting book, so your vision will differ from mine…

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

Or Aarhus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarhus

Scroll down to the “Viking Age and Before” section

Wiggy
    Triple Ace Games Creative Director
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Enno
    Henchman

Don’t forget Hedeby/Haithabu:

Enno
    Henchman

Sorry for the shameless plug to another game publisher:

I rediscovered Midkemia Press’ free Towns of the Outlands, recently.

Birka is a good example for a saxan coastal town. And the others therein could be placed anywhere in Rassilon and even Al-Shirkuh.

Their supplement is 30+ years old, and still very usable…

Anonymous
    Inactive

In a similar vein I am curious what the various temples might look like? I would assume that they wouldn’t look like churches but what would they look like? any ideas?

-herkles

McCurmudgeon
    Minion

Temples to each of the gods will be different and some don’t even have them.

I typically imagine them as stone structure, kinda like small cathedrals, with a large hall. Windows and interior depend on the god.

* Scaetha temples probably don’t have any windows as they are suppose to be really dark, almost tomb like.
    * Both Maera and Sigel have rooms dedicated to sky lights for both the moon and sun respectively. They’re often covered by glass to keep the cold out nowadays.
    * Kenaz and maybe Sigel have lots of fires burning.
    * Neorthe temples are always near water, usually with the sea actually part of it. I’ve been reading the Blood Tide adventure and the temple of Neorthe in that is actually built out of the water.
    * Thunor temples, when they exist, are always open to the are. A lot of the time they are just a set area marked as the temple, maybe by four poles.

Most of this information can be found in the religion section of the players guide, or the sections of realm guides devoted to individual gods.

Champion of Chronos

McCurmudgeon
    Minion

In the Heroes & Villains book, the background for Avholdt Flamehelm mentions the moðsognar.

I hadn’t heard about them before and was wondering if there was more information about them somewhere else?

Champion of Chronos

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close