Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
Can we get a Kick Starter for an "Atlas of the Land of Fire" ?

Home Forums Savage Worlds – Core Rules & Savage Settings Hellfrost – Land of Fire Can we get a Kick Starter for an "Atlas of the Land of Fire" ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Gwarh
    Minion

If? all the Region guides for the Land of Fire are now complete, could we get a Kick Starter to fund a combined book like the Rassilon Atlas that was just recently released? With art and maps would be even better but I’d like to just have them all compiled in a dead tree version.

amerigoV
    Minion

Amen, brother!

Left is Death!

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

Not on the radar for 2015, I’m afraid.

Wiggy
    Triple Ace Games Creative Director
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Enno
    Henchman

That’s really problematic, being 2016. 😛

I think we all agree with the experience of the Atlas of the North under “our” belts, that such a project takes at least a year, even if all pitfalls are avoided. Personally I would like to see such a project realized, when feasible. Count me in for the editing…

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

Is it really 2016? Where did 2015 go?

Rob and I had a quick chat about this this morning. We’re not adverse to the idea of a LOF Atlas. At best, it would appear on Kickstarter in 2017 and with a lead time of 12-18 months. So that’s 2018 before you’d see it in your hands.

Seriously, we underestimated the work involved on the Atlas. Drawing maps was just a small part of the larger process – checking EVERY location takes a lot of time.

Likely the KS would need to raise a lot more than the HF Atlas. Not only are there the regional maps, but also 27 cities that would require individual maps. That’s a LOT of work.

So what can you guys do to help? Start a petition. Get us hundreds of names who’d back a LOF Atlas. The more of you that shout, the more likely such a project would move up the production queue.

Wiggy
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Enno
    Henchman

As I see it an Atlas of the Scorching South must include the City Books for the most iconic cities from the beginning.

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

amerigoV
    Minion

So what can you guys do to help? Start a petition. Get us hundreds of names who’d back a LOF Atlas. The more of you that shout, the more likely such a project would move up the production queue.

I don’t know if it has to move up the queue – I think people showed that they would gladly wait for it to be done right vs. done fast. But when it makes sense timing-wise to consider, isn’t that what Kickstarter really tells you – Demand? You have a good start to the material (regional guides) and people know you can deliver the final material and product.

Actually, perhaps the current LoF bundle might be an indicator. I’ll admit was not into HF when the LoF kickstarter was running so I missed out. Subsequently after falling for HF I did get the LoF book and the adventure’s books. I did not get the individual regional guides hoping for either such a bundle (snagged!) or even its own atlas.

I do not know how it translates, but there were 188 LoF KS backers, 94ish KS backers for the LoF adventures, and 157 Atlas KS backers. Plus whatever demand you see from direct LoF sales. Any way to evaluate the information?

Left is Death!

Bearman
    Minion

I think “Shut up and take my money” is a rather crass comment not only because telling someone to sut up is rude but also because I don’t want anyone here to stop talking/writing.

That said: Shut up and take my money dammit! 😉

I’d love to see an Atlas of the burning lands done and I’ll gladly wait for it. The Rassilon atlas is gorgeous and very much worth the wait I think.

In fact gorgeous doesn’t really do it justice. The text within makes for Hoenit knows how much plot and it makes immersion in the world a breeze (o cold breeze mind you!)

So: Yes please! 🙂

TAG Robin
    Administrator

Hey guys

Its good to see you all discussing this and it always amazes me the passion for the setting from the fans!

Personally, i don’t feel i have the creative energy to create a new atlas any time soon. The atlas of the north really took a lot out of me. It was blood, sweat and tears for months and months. Not that I’m saying I regret setting out on this journey, on the contrary its been worth the blood, sweat and tears!

I am so happy with the finished book and glad the majority of the backers are happy with the results.

However, because I took so much longer to complete the book the delivery was a year late, which I have apologised many times for. But because of this it also makes me hesitant to dive into another large project like the atlas. It seems most fans were happy ‘in the end’ and I’m sure seasoned KS backers have been in situations where things were late or even not delivered at all. I am proud that even if we are a bit late we have delivered all our kickstarters to date.

But a couple of fans have emailed me to tell how disappointed they are with the kickstarter project and that they will not be supporting us again. This cuts me deep, I can’t help but take it personally mostly because of how much I put into the atlas. It seems that they don’t believe that I did put enough effort in or that because we sell other products that it must have diverted my attention away from the Atlas. I guess we cannot please everyone. But it disappoints me to think they are unhappy. As a business we have to juggle multiple projects if we did one think at a time there would be no business, at all. What I can say is that I invested the majority of my time on the atlas during that project. As soon as I finished the maps I switched to new projects.

I tried my best to get the atlas done as quickly as possible but I was not going to dash out a poor quality job. So although I am sorry it was late I do not apologise for taking the time to illustrate the book to the highest level of my ability.

So there you go – I feel I had to get this off my chest!

Sorry if I bored you guys I hope this gives you some insight into why we may not jump into another atlas project without proper thought.

Thanks

Robin
    (Cartographer, Atlas of the Frozen North)

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

Let me just add that Rob “finishing” the maps did not mean we could to print.

Every single location in the Gazetteer and Atlas (count them, folks!) had to have its location checked and if necessary moved. In some instances I wasn’t happy with the shape of rivers or mountains or the extent of hills. That meant Rob had to add or redraw (by hand, remember, not with some whizzy software) those elements.

Even after that, we knew we needed more eyes on the text (Enno did a sterling job, but he’s only one pair of eyes) and maps to ensure they were as correct as possible. That took over a month, not just of your time, but ours as well. The master map is not measured in megabytes, but in gigabytes of data. Every tweak and save took time.

As Rob said, we don’t focus entirely on one project at a time. We’re both in this business full-time and salaried. In order to produce new products with any regularity we have to be juggling multiple balls. The Atlas received the amount of time it needed – we just underestimated how long that would be.

Like Rob, I will not apologize for the time we took to produce what is a beautiful book. I have apologized before, and will do so again now, for seriously misjudging the complexity of the project, though.

Wiggy
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close