Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
BAMF Mages/Wizards
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Eduardo
    Minion

Hi guys,

1st: My players, please stay out (Lucas, Dan, Renato, Felipe…). 🙂

OK.

I come here in search of some aid.

In my hellfrost campaign I´m mixing The Black Company with hellfrost, and I want to bring ‘The Ten Who Were Taken’ back, with a Hellfrost feel.

So, what I need to know is: How would you create the most badass mage in hellfrost?

I´m talking someone capable of defeating a small army on his own.

Is it possible?

Thanks a lot,
    Eduardo

Enno
    Henchman

General advice: Get a copy of the Organization Guide and especially Sellswords & Soldiers.

Members of ALL arcane backgrounds could be a BADASS in one way or another, and when the circumstances dictate it. Just consider arcane skill and damage rolls that explode a few times, combined with some “bad luck” on the receiving side, and you get your “army killer”.

Just consider a priest of Tiw standing on the palisade of Watchgap Fort staring down on troops of goblins and orcs. If the visibility is correct (up to 100 yards) a few Blasts can obliterate whole attack waves before they even get into bow range.

Consider a well placed Zephyr or a certain magical effect in the fourth Frost Giants adventure. There are many ways how one spellcaster can obliterate a whole army with some brains and luck. These are the stories the Glory rules are made for.

Is it possible? Under the right circumstances, yes. But most of the stories about such deeds are somewhat exaggerated renditions that left out the the actions of his comrades, henchmen and troops.

Not Beowulf slew Grendel, he and his troops did. The rest is cosmetical story telling.

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

McCurmudgeon
    Minion

Since the Ten are all npc you can easily give them abilities that no players can have. Take a look through the bestiary for any abilities you like, especially anything to do with magic

Champion of Chronos

Anonymous
    Inactive

You could do a pretty decent job for the taken just by making them sort of legendary plus type characters. Take all the edges that boost their physical attributes and spell casting ability and take tons of spells. Tack on high attributes and skills and you’ve got some scary dudes. Remember even Limper was taken out by a dozen men with a good plan.

Eduardo
    Minion

Thanks guys.

Although I could use the “NPCs are different” rules, I´d like to make them as close to a ‘rules correct’ PC as possible.
    Of course I´ll have to fudge some, but not all.

—-

You could do a pretty decent job for the taken just by making them sort of legendary plus type characters. Take all the edges that boost their physical attributes and spell casting ability and take tons of spells. Tack on high attributes and skills and you’ve got some scary dudes. Remember even Limper was taken out by a dozen men with a good plan.

Yes, Legendary+ is mandatory in their power tier. As is undead.
    They did take him out, but nobody actually killed him. And the bugger even came back after having his head cut off and body burned! 🙂

—–

Something else i´m looking for, are some cool power combos I can make those guys have, having in mind the possibility of them having some of those always maintaned and stuff.

McCurmudgeon
    Minion

I was also going to say that since The Black Company has called a fantastical version of Vietnam by some you could look at the Ten as being more siege weapons during mass battle and then legendary characters when fighting on a grid.

Also maybe think about giving them a unique weakness that is the only way to kill them. Other stuff can put them down, but to truly kill them you have to do something specific. If you know Deadlands at all check out the servitors

Champion of Chronos

Anonymous
    Inactive

He was brought back a lot but you could argue that that was just Lady using some type of summon greater undead spell. The Harder to Kill Edge would give him a 50% chance to cheat death every time.

If they have a D12 stamina and you can tack on Tough as Nails and Improved Tough as Nails. Undead would add another +2 to toughness and already they are at 12. A chain shirt and the Armor spell puts them at 16.

For offense you give them Professional, Expert and Master on top of a D12 Arcane skill and they are rolling D12+2 with a D10 wild die. A nice wide selection of spells will give them lots of options. Maybe for kicks slap Trademark Weapon on their favorite spell. You know just for fun. Stand an army behind them and you are ready to crush some rebels!

McCurmudgeon
    Minion

What kind of Arcane Background are you planning on using?

Champion of Chronos

Eduardo
    Minion

Good suggestions guys. 🙂

As for which Arcane Back.: Don´t know yet. Was thinking of Elementalism and Heahwisardry, but I guess some miracle backgrounds are also good for it, specially Hela.

The other thing going on my mind was to make them be some very high level priests/paladins of some gods that have been corrupted by the liche-priest and ended up being binded by him in exchange for power. So they keep their power, but their sins are dictated by the liche-priest.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close