Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
Would like tips on starting a LoA game

Home Forums Ubiquity – Core Rules & Ubiquity Settings Leagues of Adventure Would like tips on starting a LoA game

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  snate56 3 weeks, 1 day ago. This post has been viewed 45 times

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

snate56
    Minion

Greetings Ladies & Gentlemen, I would like to start up a Leagues of Adventures game and I was curious about whether I should stick to just the Leagues in the main book, for simplicities sake, or offer all the available Leagues to date.

I plan on getting all the Globetrotter Guides and such but is there anything that you would consider must have to begin with?

Thanks in advance,
    SteveN

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

I would recommend two GGs. First, Expeditions. Second, Dramatic Developments. These give some extra tools rather than new Leagues, locales, etc..

With regard which Leagues to involve, I have some advice. It’s a bit long, mind you.

How Many Leagues?
    A casual glance through this section will quickly reveal that the number of Leagues has increased manyfold. Include those in the core rules, Leagues of Gothic Horror, and the Weird Science Compendium and the final number is close to 100! There are two reasons for including so many Leagues and they both involve choice.

First, it gives the players more choice over the sort of character they want to play by adding an extra dimension. Two archaeologists might have the same Archetype, Motivation, and Skills, but a member of the Society of Antiquarians is going to be different to play than a member of the Olympian Society, despite both having an interest in ancient history.

The player also has a choice of whether he wants to belong to a League with a broad interest or a narrow focus. Following on our archaeologist theme, the Society of Antiquarians has a general passion for the subject, making it an ideal fit for a globetrotter who wants to investigate ruins left by multiple cultures. However, he might equally want a more specialized field of historical study, in which case he has the choice of the New Argonauts Club (Greece), Osiris Club (Egypt), or Sumeria Club (Sumer).

In general, there is little difference in the starting Skill choices of similar Leagues. The differences come through in roleplaying the globetrotter and when trying to secure expedition funding. Players are a creative bunch, and you can bet that even a member of the Menagerie Club can find a way to make himself useful, and secure funding for, an expedition to explore an ancient Egyptian temple!

Second, it gives the Gamemaster choice. While he might allow the players to pick from any League, he might equally choose to limit the available Leagues based on his campaign. Leagues of Gothic Horror, which only includes write-ups of Leagues suited to horror campaigns, is an example of this approach.

For instance, in a campaign that will mainly involve archaeological digs and historical mysteries the Gamemaster might only allow the players to pick from the Bibliophile Society, Expedition Artists Club, New Argonauts Club, Old Testament Society, Polyglot Club, Society of Antiquarians, Sumeria Club, Travelers Club, and University Club for Ladies. Narrowing the choice of Leagues in this manner ensures the characters are suited to the campaign yet still presents them with options to be different from each other.

Whether he uses all the Leagues or just a handful, the Gamemaster is not expected to memorize the listโ€”he should concentrate on those the globetrotters have joined, since they are the focus of the game, and name drop another League every now and then just to remind the players that there are other Leagues out there.

Wiggy
    Triple Ace Games Creative Director
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

snate56
    Minion

Thanks Wiggy, that helps a lot!

I’ll look through the lot, though I’m going to steal the Magician’s Circle from GH because I love stage and hand magic, I’ll just remove the supernatural aspect… maybe ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m also quite fond of the Nanny’s Circle; I envision something much like the Kingsmen led by a shadowy figure called Mother Goose…
    Can’t think of a good name for Q or Merlin, though.
    There’s a guy makes a figure of a pram with a vickers machine gun, too!

SteveN

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

Q = Fairy Godmother ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wiggy
    Triple Ace Games Creative Director
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

snate56
    Minion

HaHaHahahaha!

Yeah, that’ll work! Thanks.

Let’s hope they don’t get the one from Shrek…. though she sings great!

SteveN

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close