Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
Water cost

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Enno 3 years, 4 months ago. This post has been viewed 68 times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

radekg
    Minion

Hello,
    did anybody thought about water costs in Sundered Skies? What would be 1 day supply of water for a crew of 5? I know, I know, it depends on island and “natural” supply but general guidelines would be great – as I cannot decide myself.
    So, I’m thinking prices rises farther from “Runoff Falls” you are. What do you think? What would be price of water in i.e. Gateway?

All the best,
    Radek.

Enno
    Henchman

Too much micromanagement imo. The ever present thirst and hunger is a plot device, not a good that has to be bought on a daily basis.

Since food is everpresent in the form of skylers, the players have always just enough water to get over the day. In my vision of the Skies every ship has several water samplers like “desert” communities have or the common rainbarrel. So water is not abundant but generally available.

If the thirst and hunger are the theme of a plot point i simply say so. Makes it much easier for everybody…

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

radekg
    Minion

While I agree with you generally this does not really help. Having “samplers” on board or in cities you make thirst problem go away completely and having to “import water” by islands that have no natural resource is next to useless. You can make thirst and hunger plot device in almost any setting – that’s not a point of my question. Have you ever played in Dark Sun setting? Did you consider sandbox game? But that is also irrelevant.

What I’m thinking is, if water is scarce resource and travel often takes 7-8 weeks then making such trip is not merely “I take my ship and go..”. You have to have enough cogs to prepare for it also.

In Sundered skies rulebook you have a lot of tools for making the game sandbox expierence. You have generators after generators, you have travel times, random encounters and boredom rules. Having water problems is one of the staple of this world next to voidglow for me.

Sure, you can play ignoring this or bringing it up when you need it (hopefully players won’t feel cheated). That’s fine. That’s your game. Me, I want to emphasize both voidglow and constant water problems.

Thanks!
    Radek.

Enno
    Henchman

I’m not ignoring it, i’m just using inverse logic to avoid any unnecessary calculations of every quart of water and rations ingame.

Water is a free resource provided by the Trade Council. There is just enough water to fulfill the needs of the local population and any visiting ship crews, or else the settlement would have been abandoned long ago. Greater settlements only grew where water exists in greater amounts.

Any provisions for the crew is covered by the payment rules. So if you only have the money for a 10 day trip, instead of the 15, your water or food runs out and has to be raitioned. Finally the the thirst and hunger rules have to be applied.

Like the glowmadness rules, thirst and hunger are just a plot tool, not a rule that has to be applied in every minute detail. SW is a game of broad strokes, action and heroics, not one were you roll the consumption for every hour of the day. Thats boring. Thats not Fast! Furious! Fun!

But it’s your game. Give 1 gallon of water (4 days per person) a base price of 1 cog, and make it an uncommon good. 😉

radekg
    Minion

Surely I won’t give excel sheet to the players and ask them to strike out every ration of water every day.

1 cog and uncommon good – that’s interesting idea. Have to think it over.

Enno
    Henchman

You might change it common in places with plenty of water, or make it scarcer for more remote places.

Just interpret the amount available the gallons available for your ship.

On the other hand, you calcuted the cost for your crew for the next trip based on its length.
    Just multiply the number of your crew by 0.5 gallons per day, and you know the rough amount of drinking water aboard. This makes rationing water on longer trips easier, and you can add things like sustenance elven potions easily.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close