Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
The Lost City of Paraxus questions

Home Forums Savage Worlds – Core Rules & Savage Settings Hellfrost The Lost City of Paraxus questions

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cnut 1 week, 2 days ago. This post has been viewed 163 times

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

helcanare
    Minion

I am running The Lost City of Paraxus adventure and I have some questions. I have a really old version of pdf so I am not sure if those issues were covered in updated in newer files.

1. If imprint dies before PCs reach the Chamber of Souls, does it get resurrected there? It says that he keeps all the wounds, but it also says that he returns to the jar if he dies.

2. Can Emeric (the NPC paladin) perform the death rites ritual over the bodies in the outer mausoleum? Do PCs have to carry the bones all the time if they fail their saves? Do they leave the catacombs immediately after failing the spirit roll in order to find a cleric?

3. Necropolis location’s description mentiones that some of the PCs might be trapped in the sarcophaguses. I could not find any mentions of how can they get there.

4. My pdf misses the map of the Chamber of Souls. I would really appreciate if somebody shares it with me.

Here are Spellemental and coin golems minis I made as well as some treasure piles. Really looking forward to run this adventure this weekend!

Battle Skald from occupied Vestmark

Enno
    Henchman

1. The imprint doesn’t die. It returns to its soul jar and waits until the players enter the Chamber of Souls. It retains all wounds it suffered before, but regenerates 1 wound each time it successfully soaks damage or resists a spell. It may only be harmed by magic. You have to destroy its jar to “kill” it.

2. Any paladin/priest knows the proper burial rites.
    No, they are only obliged to carry the bones to the next available cleric. They may lay the bones aside if the situation demands it, but will come back to them asap.
    They have to fulfill their obligations within a month (see page 12).

3. There is no such mentioning in my PDFs, mate.

4. Here is the battle map i made for my groups:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Zzo3XU8cLbS0hlbHFvRlJIbEE/view?usp=sharing

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

helcanare
    Minion

Thank you for your answer! Some follow-ups:

1. So once the imprint has 3 wounds, it cannot appear again by drawing a 10. If he has 3 wounds in the chamber of souls, it does not go unconscious/dead unless the jar is destroyed. Am I right?

3. This is what my pdf says:

Heligi tombs were designed to magically open when entered by the living, so the deceased could be viewed and honored. The round after the characters enter the room, every sarcophagus creaks open, releasing its undead occupants (and any trapped characters).

5. Does Maelstrom Soul kill the PC if it sucks all their Spirit? So a character with Spirit d4 has “save or die” situation?

Battle Skald from occupied Vestmark

Enno
    Henchman

1. Correct. As the description of the Ghostly Guardian tells us, the imprint does not return
    after taking three wounds and this card draw indicates an empty chamber. It waits in its jar in the Chamber of Souls anyway, wounds or not (in one of my groups the heroes never met the Guardian before the Chamber).

3. Missed that, mate. Thanks! There is no “trap” sending heroes into the closed sarcophagi, or closing them when all except the unlucky fellow leave the room. Ignore it, or conceive a situation where one might get trapped.

5. As the creature’s description of Soul Drain tells us, “victims whose Spirit is reduced below a d4 have their soul sucked from them”. That’s a death sentence for me, even a total one because with a destroyed soul there is no chance of an afterlife.

Cnut
    Minion

Quick question about killing the Imprint and the Maelstrom Souls. The only way to kill Imprint/Maelstrom is destroying the soul jars. Are soul jars permanent relics? The text states, “Through fell study, the mages had discovered a way of trapping souls within magical containers.”

If soul jars are relics and a party includes a Priestess or Paladin of Maera, is there any way this character can kill the Imprint or Maelstrom without committing a mortal sin?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Enno
    Henchman

There is a fairly reliable indicator. If it were a relic, you’d feel it if you touched it. This is not mentioned here. This may not be significant, however, as much magical knowledge has been lost over the last few centuries. And being one of the first adventures in the line Wiggy might have simply forgotten it to mention.
    As the description of the Chamber of Souls suggests, the Heligi were masters of spirit magic. In Rassilon the Soul Binders and in Al-Shirkuh the Ushabti use a similar art. Brushing with Necromancy however, both are sometimes considered fell magic. This is mentioned in the description, so assume that the soul jars were created by such magic. Touching them does not reveal anything of their nature, but may notify the resident spirit. You cannot attune to the jar, nor use the spirit in any form.
    As it is such a nice opportunity, I would classify the soul jars at least as “minor relics” being ancient magicks and all. This makes it at least a minor sin for the clerics of Maera to destroy them.

Cnut
    Minion

I like the distinction with legendary relics being items a character can attune with and possibly use vs. other items of ‘magic’ but not relics or alchemy items. Adding in a minor sin anyway is a good excuse for an adventure hook.

Thank you!

Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close