Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
Star Metal

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Enno 3 years, 2 months ago. This post has been viewed 786 times

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi, I’ve got a question about Star Metal. I have to apologize in advance for that I only own the german books, so I can’t check how it’s written in the english original.

My question: Demons have a weakness against star metal. Does this only mean, that they have to use the regular Toughness without the +2 bonus? Or is the damage roll doubled also, as described in “Weakness” in the Beastiary? OR HWAT? 🙂

Enno
    Henchman

A demons weakness against star metal is interpreted differently by lowering its toughness. The first toughness value in a demons stats takes the weakness in consideration. So if it has Toughness 5/7, the left 5 is the toughness against star metal weapons.

Star Metal basically negates the +2 toughness demons have against non magical attacks.

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

Anonymous

OK, that’s not much for a longsword that costs 15.000 goldscields (price multiplicates by 50)
    What about the text in the Bestiary about weaknesses? There’s mentioned, that the damage is doubled…

wmarshal
    Minion

Dont forget that star metal weapons gain an AP of 2. A star metal sword is expensive, but HellFrost is a setting where permanent magic items (or items like magic items such as those made of star metal or mythril) are rare. I have a party of 5 who’ve just reached Heroic and they have only 4 permament magic items between them. Scarcity drives up the price.

Enno
    Henchman

Read the definition of Weakness again:”Unless otherwise stated, a creature with Weakness (Cold) is affected by cold, coldfire, and ice trappings. Weakness (Fire) likewise covers both heat and fire. In all cases, direct damage from attacks matching a creature’s Weakness is doubled.”

It was otherwise stated under each demons Weakness entry, and weapons usually don’t apply direct damage.

Since demons are immune to non magical attacks the effect of star metal on demons is worth every scield. 😉

Anonymous

Where did you find the information, that demons are immune to nin-magical attacks? I only see the information, that they receive +2 toughness against non-magical attacks.

Bestiary p. 18-23

* Demon: +2 to recover from being Shaken; immune to poison and disease; +2 Toughness against nonmagical attacks, except for star metal.
    * Weakness (Star Metal):Demons have lower Toughness against star metal weapons.

And the damage is doubled for star metal, too:

Bestiary p. 4

WEAKNESS
    Unless otherwise stated, a creature with Weakness (Cold) is affected by cold, coldfire, and ice trappings. Weakness (Fire) likewise covers both heat and fire. In all cases, direct damage from attacks matching a creature’s Weakness is doubled.

Enno
    Henchman

I meant immune as in protected or shielded, because of the Toughness they get. I hindsight resistant might have been clearer. 😉

Weapons don’t deal direct damage, spells and environmental effects do. The advantages a star metal weapon gives you against demons are +2 AP (if the Abyss spawn wears any) and the lowering of their Toughness.

A followup question here. What happens if an adventurer has a star metal weapon that ALSO is magical? Does the toughness go down an additional 2?

Example:
    Demon with base Toughness 15.

Against non-magical attacks > Toughness = 17
    Against magical attacks > Toughness = 15
    Against star metal weapons > Toughness = 15
    Against MAGICAL STAR METAL weapons > Toughness = 13 ???

Enno
    Henchman

No. Being made of star metal negates the demons bonus on toughness like a magical attack does, so they are basically the same effect and don’t stack. In your example, it’s still an attack against toughness 15.

amerigoV
    Minion

Weapons don’t deal direct damage, spells and environmental effects do. The advantages a star metal weapon gives you against demons are +2 AP (if the Abyss spawn wears any) and the lowering of their Toughness.

Maybe this is a defined term I am missing, but if the weapon is not doing “direct damage” to something, what is the source of the damage? Harsh Language?

Left is Death!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close