Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
Rules clarification – Maintained powers for AB Miracles users.

Home Forums Savage Worlds – Core Rules & Savage Settings Hellfrost Rules clarification – Maintained powers for AB Miracles users.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Enno 2 weeks, 6 days ago. This post has been viewed 134 times

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Awroe
    Minion

If an AB Miracles users has some maintained spells but tries another one and rolls a 1 on the skill die then the result is that the character is shaken.

Does the character then need to make a smarts check as per the disruption rules to keep up their maintained spells?

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.”
    David Gemmell.

Enno
    Henchman

See HFPHB p50. As stated there, the core rules of Disruption still apply. Note however, that Backlash for a priest in HF is DAMAGING, so a simple smarts roll doesn’t suffice according to the core rules. Its an opposed faith skill roll versus the “minimum damage to get him shaken” (= Toughness).

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

helcanare
    Minion

Unfortunately I don’t have an English corebook right now, but I am pretty sure that if you become Shaken from any nondirect damage effect you just have to roll a 4 or above to maintain the concentration.

Battle Skald from occupied Vestmark

Enno
    Henchman

Not quite. According to the SW core rules: Only when a priest is Shaken by non-damaging means he maintains all his powers with a simple Smarts roll.

helcanare
    Minion

So since the TN is 4 unless stated otherwise, it is 4 in this scenario.

Enno
    Henchman

The TN is always 4 for a simple roll.
    In this case however your priest is rolling an opposed faith skill die against the “minimum damage to get him shaken” (= Toughness).

Awroe
    Minion

Thanks for the responses guys. Rolling against the damage needed to achieve a shaken result makes sense and brings it in line with the damage rules for straight out MUs.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.”
    David Gemmell.

helcanare
    Minion

Ok, I see what you mean now. However, it still sounds like a ruling (which is perfectly good, your fun is not wrong). I believe that the important part of this quote is “thus can lead to wounds”. I do not think that such unobvious mechanics (rolling against your own Toughness) wouldn’t be clarified in the rulebook.

This counts as a physical effect and thus can lead to wounds

PG p.50

Awroe
    Minion

Thanks for your input on this guys.

I’ve created a little crib sheet for players to use at the table to reduce time flipping through rule books. Feel free to snag yourself a copy here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7p078g67mkxis3/Hellfrost%20mages%20crib%20sheet.pdf?dl=0

If you spot any mistakes please let me know 🙂

David Gemmell.

Cnut
    Minion

Thanks Awroe. It looks good to me with one question. My understanding of Bolt is that only 3 bolts could be cast at one time. Is this changed in Hellfrost?

Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close