Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
Question on Bandolier

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Susimetsa 1 year, 9 months ago. This post has been viewed 103 times

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

sniffycrab
    Minion

Bandolier: Hanging from shoulder diagonally across the body to the waist, a bandolier holds 12 apostles. An apostle is a wooden tube containing a measured amount of black powder. The loader simply bites or tears off the end, and pours it into the barrel.

Does the Bandolier provide any in game benefit? Maybe reduces the reload actions by 1?

dpmcalister
    Administrator

The bandolier was just an easy way of keeping things in reach. I wouldn’t say it has any in-game benefit to be honest as, to my mind, the reload action starts once you have everything to hand. If anything, not having a bandolier would increase the reload time as you have to ferret around your pockets or pack to find the apostle.

That said, if you want it to provide a benefit, feel free 😀

.: Blog :: Flickr :: LinkedIn :: Twitter :.

Susimetsa
    Minion

The word ‘apostle’ is a later invention (I think 19th century). AFAIK, the wooden tubes were originally called by other names, such as charges or cartouches. A bandolier with cartouches was an inconvenient method of carrying around musket charges, but it sped up (and made easier) reloading in comparison to the earlier method which was simply to estimate the needed amount of powder by eye when pouring it into the gun’s barrel from a powder flask.

Cartouches were inconvenient because they easily banged together and made noise. Also, they were likely to explode if hit by enemy bullets.

In the later 17th century were developed co-called paper cardridges that were carried around in various sorts of pouches and boxes, such as the Whydah box. These were easier to use, as you merely bit the cardridge open, poured the powder into the barrel and then pressed the bullet (also included in the cardridge) wrapped in the rest of the paper down the barrel as well – and then primed the weapon with priming powder from a separate flask.

Enno
    Henchman

http://www.engerisser.de/Bewaffnung/weapons/Bandolier.html

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

Susimetsa
    Minion

Perhaps it should be added that the number of cartouches attached to the bandolier varied in different countries/contexts between 8-14 or so. I think the number 12 comes from Spain where the term ‘apostle’ also seems to originate.

Enno
    Henchman

The linked article covered this fact. 😉

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

Susimetsa
    Minion

Oh, um… I was too hasty in “reading” it, it seems… :/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close