Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
Punishing sins for Miracles users

Home Forums Savage Worlds – Core Rules & Savage Settings Hellfrost Punishing sins for Miracles users

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Awroe
    Minion

Since I’m new to Hellfrost there’s a good chance that this has been asked before but I’m going to ask it again, I hope you don’t mind.

There seems to be a slight imbalance between The Siphoning (wizards using too much magic) and those using Miracles to cast spells. It seems that the worst that can happen is that the priest suffers a level of fatigue for an hour which whilst cumulative effects could be bad news it doesn’t seem as severe as Siphoning.

Also I can’t see anything regarding how a priest might be punished for a sin at whatever level, though I might have missed this.

Is their any additional guidance on this?

If not, would it be worth having a priest roll on the Siphoning table if their Deity thinks they’re taking too many liberties?

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.”
    David Gemmell.

Enno
    Henchman

You only saw a small part of the picture. Just by comparing the Backlash rules of the Arcane and Miracles your are missing a lot.

Firstly, when a cleric rolls a 1 on his Faith die, regardless of the Wild die, she’s automatically Shaken. This may cause a wound, if already Shaken. Like any trait roll, it may be rerolled by spending a Bennie. (See HF PHB).

Secondly, when a cleric takes the Arcane Background (Miracles) he automatically gets the Connection Edge, but the Orders Hindrance too. This hindrance doesn’t count toward his starting Hindrance limits, nor does he earn any points during or after character generation for it (See HF PHB).

Thirdly, clerics have to follow a set of commandments, called sins in the chapter about Religions.
    Clerics who violate these fiats are temporarily or permanently forsaken by their patron deity. Minor sins give the character a –2 to her Faith rolls for one week. Major sins rob him of all miracles for one week. While Mortal sins cause the delinquent to be forsaken until she completes some great quest or task of atonement to regain her lost powers. This even applies to the Champion, Holy Warrior, Disciple Edges, and in a lesser extent Devotees (See SW core rules and HF Expansion I).

Finally, in extension to the divine chastisements imposed upon a sinner, every deity may release its furies upon any hard cases.
    These savage reprisal spirits are sent by the gods to punish worshippers only for major transgressions.
    Especially frequent transgressions are punished by a visit of the god’s furies, and rarely they need more than one visit by a pack of those.
    As a rough guideline, furies are generally unleashed if a cleric commits three or more minor sins in a single season, two or more major sins in a single year, and more than one mortal sin at any time in their life. Clerics who renounce their faith are also liable to be paid a visit.
    However, before making the decision, the cult itself has to be taken into consideration. Eira, for instance, is more forgiving, while Tiw and Dargar, on the other hand, punish their sinners harshly. These deities may punish more than one minor sin in a season and any major or mortal sin.
    Clerics slain by furies are never claimed by their patron god in Scaetha’s Hall and are damned for eternity (See Matters of Faith).

So, in reality, clerics and paladins are much more penalized, then magicians with the Siphoning. Especially, because it has to be the main goal of any gamemaster to trigger those dilemmas regularly.

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

Awroe
    Minion

Hi Enno,

Thanks for replying. The rules I was looking for are in the main SWD rules and not in the HF book which is where I was looking for them!! D’oh!

I really appreciate you taking the time to clarify it for me.

Allan.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.”
    David Gemmell.

Enno
    Henchman

You’re welcome, mate

DGMiller
    Minion

Firstly, when a cleric rolls a 1 on his Faith die, regardless of the Wild die, she’s automatically Shaken. This may cause a wound, if already Shaken. Like any trait roll, it may be rerolled by spending a Bennie. (See HF PHB).

Secondly, when a cleric takes the Arcane Background (Miracles) he automatically gets the Connection Edge, but the Orders Hindrance too. This hindrance doesn’t count toward his starting Hindrance limits, nor does he earn any points during or after character generation for it (See HF PHB).

Thirdly, clerics have to follow a set of commandments, called sins in the chapter about Religions.
    Clerics who violate these fiats are temporarily or permanently forsaken by their patron deity. Minor sins give the character a –2 to her Faith rolls for one week. Major sins rob him of all miracles for one week. While Mortal sins cause the delinquent to be forsaken until she completes some great quest or task of atonement to regain her lost powers. This even applies to the Champion, Holy Warrior, Disciple Edges, and in a lesser extent Devotees (See SW core rules and HF Expansion I).

Finally, in extension to the divine chastisements imposed upon a sinner, every deity may release its furies upon any hard cases.
    These savage reprisal spirits are sent by the gods to punish worshippers only for major transgressions.
    Especially frequent transgressions are punished by a visit of the god’s furies, and rarely they need more than one visit by a pack of those.
    As a rough guideline, furies are generally unleashed if a cleric commits three or more minor sins in a single season, two or more major sins in a single year, and more than one mortal sin at any time in their life. Clerics who renounce their faith are also liable to be paid a visit.
    However, before making the decision, the cult itself has to be taken into consideration. Eira, for instance, is more forgiving, while Tiw and Dargar, on the other hand, punish their sinners harshly. These deities may punish more than one minor sin in a season and any major or mortal sin.
    Clerics slain by furies are never claimed by their patron god in Scaetha’s Hall and are damned for eternity (See Matters of Faith).

I feel stupid since I’ve read the Player’s Guide several times over the years, but i just can’t find this information anywhere. Could anyone point me to where in the book it says what the punishments for Priests who sin (or even roll a 1) are? I’ve been searching most of the afternoon and just can’t find these rules anywhere.

Thank you so much!

Enno
    Henchman

No problem, mate.

1. HF PHB p50 Backlash (Miracles)
    2. HF PHB p17 Arcane Background
    3. HF PHB p61 The Gods of Rassilon. Under Sins: “As detailed in the Savage Worlds rules, …”
    SWD core rules p.119 Arcane Background (Miracles). Under Protector, second paragraph: “Minor sins give…”
    4. Matters of Faith p32 Sidebar: When to Unleash the Furies. Formerly Region Guide #21 – Chalcis p10 similar sidebar.

DGMiller
    Minion

Wow. I can’t thank you enough. I know I stared at all those pages and read them multiple times and my tired, frustrated brain just couldn’t find the information.

Thanks again!

D

Enno
    Henchman

Georne! 😉

Cnut
    Minion

Very helpful to have all this information pulled into one place. I’ve been wondering about some of these specifics for a year now. Thank you!

Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Enno
    Henchman

All you had to do was asking, mate. 😛

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close