Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
Minor Errors

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Susimetsa 3 months, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 136 times

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Althalus
    Minion

We stumbled upon two minor errors on Friday …

1) The first Range-step of a spell is given in the rulebook as 10 feet, on the GM-screen it´s given as 100 feet. What´s correct? Because of the following increments I assumed the latter …

2) The name of the Talent Riposte is “wrong” – just some misunderstanding of the fencing-term I assume, because a Riposte means just an attack that follows directly after a parry, which would be just the normal defend-attack sequence (it´s called two-tempi-fencing). What the Talent implies would be called a counterthrust/-strike or single-tempo-defense. Funny thing is, with Brawling, the name is correct. 😉
    That´s not really important, it just started a small discussion about if the Riposte could be defended against, or not.

If my English seems awkward, it´s because I´m from Austria. 😉
    Alex

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

1) No, it’s 10 feet for the first category. Then it jumps to 500 feet.

2) I know, but having Counterthrust and Counterstrike might have caused more confusion because of the similarity in name. Sadly, the Brawl version got there first in Ubiquity, so we stuck with it. 🙂

Wiggy
    Triple Ace Games Creative Director
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Althalus
    Minion

Ah, thanks, then there´s a typo on the GM-screen (have to mark the third 0 off there to avoid that in the future).

I know, but having Counterthrust and Counterstrike might have caused more confusion because of the similarity in name.

I sometimes forget, that most AfO-players won´t know the fencing terms as my group does … 😉

The point of contention was, that when it´s a Riposte, it could be defended against (making a Defense-roll), but the description implies direct damage, which means a counterthrust/-strike. I let myself be persuaded to assume the latter. 😉

Just to illustrate what a counterthrust looks like:
    Counterthrust

If my English seems awkward, it´s because I´m from Austria. 😉
    Alex

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

I sometimes forget, that most AfO-players won´t know the fencing terms as my group does … ;-)

When in doubt, I go with something the masses understand/recognize and let the experts know better. 🙂 You’re quite right in that the Riposte Talent causes direct damage and is really a counterstrike that can’t be parried.

Wiggy
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Wooly Rupert
    Minion

My book doesn’t have a description for Weirdness Magnet. Assume it’s just like Danger Magnet, only weirder.

"We really shook the pillars of Heaven, didn't we Wang?"

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

Pretty much. It should say… “Weirdness Magnet: Your character often gets mixed up in strange and unusual occurrences. The stars align, ghostly apparitions appear, and cursed people come looking for help when she is around. You earn a Style point whenever your character ends up involved in supernatural events through no fault of her own.”

Looks like it got cut for reasons of space and the Flaws table wasn’t corrected.

Wiggy
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Susimetsa
    Minion

I was also going to point out the riposte/counterattack discrepancy, but luckily I found this thread first. But I also had another thing I wanted to point out:

In Richelieu’s compendium on Naval Adventures, the text mentions the ship’s wheel a couple of times. It should be noted that the ships of this era did not have wheels, but used whipstaffs (attached to the tiller) for steering the craft. For immersion’s sake, it should be noted that whipstaffs were not very efficient with steering (not as good as the later wheels) and the ships were generally steered more with the sails than with the rudder.

Also, when needing more manoeuvrability (such as during “evasive action” (not really something that was actually done with ships of the era)), the sailors unattached the whipstaff and turned the tiller directly (belowdecks, so orders from the deck had to be transmitted to them rapidly or loudly enough).

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

My research pretty went along the lines of “it’s a ship, probably has a wheel, now let’s get onto the cool stuff.” 🙂 I’m no historian, that’s for sure.

Wiggy
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Susimetsa
    Minion

Another minor error can be found in the compendium fencing schools, namely the Dragoon talent that says: “Dragoons are light cavalry trained to fight mounted and as infantry.”

The 17th century light cavalry and dragoons were two different types of units. Light cavalry was, as the name states, lightly armoured fast cavalry unit, fighting from horseback with long pistols and swords (depending on nationality). Dragoons were musketeers travelling on horses.

Dragoons never fought from horseback and used the beasts only for transport. The tasks of dragoons were mainly scouting and tasks like securing, building and holding important bridges for the marching army and otherwise lubricating the movement of the army. They were jacks-of-all-trades, sort of mounted pioneers and soldiers of the day.

Later on, in the following century, dragoons began to take the place of light cavalry.

Susimetsa
    Minion

My research pretty went along the lines of “it’s a ship, probably has a wheel, now let’s get onto the cool stuff.” 🙂 I’m no historian, that’s for sure.

Hehe, I can appreciate that. For my part, I’m a historical fiction author and I’m very much focussed on this very era – so I tend to pay attention to these details almost involuntarily. :/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close