Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
Hellfrost Atlas
  • This topic has 74 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years, 5 months ago by Enno. This post has been viewed 7041 times
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

I can’t give an accurate figure until I start doing the actual layout, but based on the white space in the rough PDF I reckon I’ve managed to squeeze in 56 new locales. Be warned: One or two may yet get cut – it all depends on the exact space once I start adding stuff. Right now I’ve only estimated how these will fill the space.

Being the generous soul that I am, I’ve listed the new entries below by region.

Alantaris Isle: The Humped Horse, The Rubble Market (both part of Imperial City)
    Angarion: The Gifting Glade
    Battlelands: Giant’s Blood River, Giants Wood
    Blackstone: Lacsen
    Cairn Lands: The Burnt Mounds
    Coglelund: Border Crossings
    Crystalflow Confederacy: The Moor Up and Come Inn
    Cul: Salvation
    Ertha’s Realm: The Abandoned City, The Root of the Earth
    Freelands: Deadwood Forest, The Temple of Ertha
    Frozen Forest: Graveyard of the Living, The King’s Road
    Giant’s Throne: The Temple of Teeth and Claws
    Heligioland: Raedburgh’s Hut
    Icedale Freeholds: Black Man Hill
    Magocracy: Cattlegraze Hills, Giants’ Tables Downs, Halls of the Dead, The Salmon Run River, Staeftun, Two Fort Bridge
    Midmark: Beransgarth, Igilsinn
    Royalmark: Bradwald, Ealdstanar, East and West Ockster
    Seithrby: Barrow, Cynewynn’s Stead, Muckletarn
    Shattered Moor: Bandelbury, Cave of Dancing Lights, Last Chance
    Sunken Realm: bergrisarheim, The Bitter Well, Litter Bone Cave
    Taiga Elfhomes: Icefinger’s Ger (N), Maera’s Tooth (T), The Wild Temple (R)
    The Ten Seas: City of the Shark Gods, Crushing Claw Island, Hearthglow Island, Two Dragon Island
    Unclaimed Lands: Ghost Dance Hills, Kyöpelinvuori, Winter Fern Hills
    The Vale: Marmaduke’s Scrolls (part of Weem), Kyrton, Six Stone Hill
    Witchwood: The Glistening Cave
    Withered Lands: Hall of the Pale Lady, Hela’s Garden

Wiggy
    Triple Ace Games Creative Director
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

P.S. Once I begin the actual layout I’ll update the list accordingly.

Wiggy
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Quigs
    Minion

Can you give me a run down on how you came up with the pricing structure for this kickstarter? I’d love to get the PDF but I cannot justify spending 29 pounds on it. In Canadian, that’s $53. I’ve never seen an RPG PDF priced that high. Usually $10-$20 is the norm, and usually it’s even cheaper when it’s a Kickstarter.

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

It’s based on the amount of money we need to cover our basic costs (art, maps, printing) and our estimate that we’d get around 100 backers based on previous Kickstarters.

If you honestly think a 355 page PDF with 94 pages of full color maps should retail at $10-20 then I am insulted by the total lack of respect you’re showing us and the work going into this project. We designed this project because the fans asked for it. We’re not even covering our costs for the time it will take to lay this out or add new material, and yet we’re still essentially accused of gouging the fans.

Kickstarter is about backing a project because you want to see it become reality, not getting discounts. We’ve had plenty of positive feedback for sticking to that ideal with our Kickstarters and we’re not about to change things.

Wiggy
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Inferno
    Minion

Be warned: One or two may yet get cut – it all depends on the exact space once I start adding stuff.

If history is our guide, I have faith that anything you need to cut will probably appear in a supplementary pdf (quite likely free), because you’re generous like that.

wmarshal
    Minion

@Quigs: While I can understand that at first glance there may be some form of sticker shock this product is going to take quite a bit of work to put together, and for a PDF it is rather large compared to many other PDFs.

Even though some think that a PDF is only a bunch of electrons without any significant cost per copy it remains an item that requires labor and retains a value. If TAG sold the Atlas for only $20 that would not only be devaluing the work they put into the Atlas, but it would also devalue all of their other PDFs which are smaller. Should they then only charge $5 for PDFs of their main books? I don’t think they could survive at those rates.

It might not be fair to compare other companies rates to each other but Pinnacle’s Weird War Rome PDF sells for about $15, but this is a much smaller book compared to the Atlas. Also there will be a lot of art (maps, illustrations and such) in this book. The maps are not “just maps”, but also artwork that will require the entire space to be detailed. Unlike some illustrations you can’t just have white space or blue sky in the background.

At £29 I think we’re actually getting a bit of a bargain. Yes, in terms of daily expenses such as lunch and beer money it does cost a bit, but this is not something that’s going to have a huge print run to help spread out costs.

The above are all just my thoughts, I can’t speak for Rob or Wiggy, but take them for what you think they are worth.

Quigs
    Minion

The reason I question the cost is because I was a backer of one of your previous Hellfrost Kickstarters, namely the Land of Fire. I paid 38 pounds and received a PDF of the land of fire book, the player’s guide, and an adventure, plus I received a hard copy of the land of fire book. I was just curious why this book costs so much more than that? Are you using a different printer or artist that’s charging more than the previous ones?

The Land of Fire kickstarter had 188 backers and I felt I got great value for my money. I’m not accusing you of gouging, and other kickstarters I have backed have had no problems explaining their costs and justifying the prices they are charging. So I’m not sure why you are taking such offence to such an innocent question.

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

The Land of Fire book was a large print run going into shops, a new setting (of sorts), the art bill was a third of that of the Atlas, and the page count was about 2/3 that of the Atlas.

I take offence because folks were told upfront that this would be an expensive project – a book this big is not cheap to produce and in order to make it a reality we’re not even asking you to fund everything. The cost for the maps alone is close to £5500 in Rob’s time.

Wiggy
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

wmarshal
    Minion

I think many of us, myself included (maybe especially so), discount the costs of artwork/cartography. I appreciate good art in my RPG books, but often we look at a piece of art quickly and then move on to delving into the text. You can’t just go by page count. Unfortunately that can lead us to underestimating how much art can cost.

Quigs
    Minion

That’s all I wanted to know, thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close