Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
Healing Cleric OP?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  helcanare 2 weeks, 6 days ago. This post has been viewed 133 times

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Tumola
    Minion

Hi,

I am running a game with a cleric who has the Healing spell. The Healing power is very powerful and I find my group to not care about wounds at all because the cleric can heal everything once the combat is over.
    I don’t care so much about in-combat healing (since it takes an action and positioning), it is the aftermath I’m concerned about. Basically, within the Golden Hour, a cleric can attempt magical healing 600 times. This should be more than enough attempts to heal any wounds in my group.
    Theoretically, the Backlash can cause the cleric to become Shaken, which is inconsequential after combat (if I don’t want to ambush my group :P). A Critical Failure can cause Fatigue which is more severe, but the chances are pretty slim.
    So my question is: Am I missing something? What limits the usefulness of a cleric healer outside of combat? Usually this would be Power Points.

amerigoV
    Minion

I do not think you are missing anything. But there is only one cleric type that can cast the healing power in Rassilon. Their sins and power list is very restrictive. So to me the healing everybody up after the battle is their “Thing” just like the fighter can attack all they want during the fight.

The group should be very careful to 1) don’t die during the fight and 2) protect the cleric with their life.

Plus, rolling a 1/1 does not just have to impact the the caster 🙂

Left is Death!

Enno
    Henchman

Druids, Waeter Elementalists, Rune Mages, and Skalds can cast Healing too. They are balanced by the Siphoning.
    Clerics of Eira, Eostre, Neorthe, the Norns, and Scaetha have Healing on their list. They are balanced by the stringent interpretation of their sins. They also prefer members of their faith, and usually demand services in return, like favors or money. Eira’s healers, for instance, are generally paid for their services. After all, Eira is Var’s sister.
    All are furthermore balanced by the wound/fatigue modifiers for caster and wounded. Don’t forget that maintained spells are modifying the arcane skill roll too. And it’s rarely practical to quit running spells, because of time constraints.

Yes, healing wounds is much easier than in the core rules, but there are a lot more issues to consider.

If Healing’s power bothers you, check out the comments in A Harsher World (HF Expansion I, p. 13).

In my groups, I never had any real issues with healing. It’s a heroic setting after all and we want our heroes to be able to take it. Despite two healers in the group, I experienced more than once that they managed to escape death just barely.

Finally, it is important to remember that Healing also applies to the antagonists.

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

Tumola
    Minion

Thanks for the answers, these are interesting points. The cleric is actually a priest of a custom minor goddess, so I might actually build in some limitation into the sins.
    The custom goddess is a goddess of the night and nocturnal beasts, so maybe invoking certain powers during the day might be a sin or aiding members of another faith without honoring the goddess.
    In any case, this is likely the “loophole” I was looking for.

Enno
    Henchman

If a minor goddess of the nocturnal creatures has mastered the spell Healing, then she’ll probably use it primarily to heal such creatures. Healing other creatures shouldn’t be considered a sin though. Simply apply a situational modifier of -2.

helcanare
    Minion

Some Hela-posting.

I came up with the ruling that the Healing can be successfully cast only once after the character received wounds.So you will definitely heal at least 1 wound. Let me clarify it with example:

Bjorn the Berserker received 2 wounds (wounds #1 and #2) in the middle of the battle, which is still going. Helga the Merciful Daughter is trying to cast Healing on him. Her first roll was a 3, so she did not heal any wounds. However, she can try again next round. So after some attempts she rolls a 6, which is enough to heal 1 wound (wound #2). After that, neither she nor any other magic healer can make attempts to heal one remaining wound (#1), however, mundane healing might still work.
    Let’s say that after Helga healed Bjorn he received one more wound (#3). Now Helga can magically heal him again, however, if she roll a rise, it won’t heal the first wound he got (#1), just the last one (#3).

Sorry for the weird explanation, hope it would help 🙂

Battle Skald from occupied Vestmark

Enno
    Henchman

To much bookkeeping for my taste, but its your game.

Other ideas about this topic: http://forum.tripleacegames.com/viewtopic.php?t=894

helcanare
    Minion

Well, I basically tried to describe Wiggy’s rule in a weird way 🙂 Thanks for the link!

Battle Skald from occupied Vestmark

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close