Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
Glory awards

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Cnut 2 weeks, 6 days ago. This post has been viewed 86 times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Cnut
    Minion

I am not sure if I’m giving out Glory awards correctly. In “Call to Arms” it mentions one or two points of glory for specific events/actions, and I had not been doing that so far. The campaign is new, so I wanted to get this straight in my mind before I get much further along.

Does anyone mind if we use The Dark Seed as a specific example?

***Spoilers ahead for Players***

In the last fight, there is one sap zombie/hero, one thorndart bush/hero, Grimbjorn the wildcard bear, and Melasion, the hero of the story (from his point of view).

a) Is there a set Glory Award for killing the named wildcards, Melasion & Grimbjorn? For being outnumbered?

b) One character hit a previously uninjured Grimbjorn with a fire bolt, aced a few times for damage, and ended up with 30 damage in one shot. This seems like it would be worth a glory point, or is this a bonus for the variable roll when the characters start telling their tale when they get back to civilization? [If yes, then hypothetically of course, if an evil GM used a benny or three to soak three wounds, does this prevent the Glory since Grimbjorn is not killed in one shot?]

c) Are there set Glory awards given for saving thousands of lives by stopping the Black Ones? (The heroes even asked the wood wight if it would lead them to any other sap infected animals in the forest so they could make sure the Black Ones’ sap was destroyed.)

d) Is there Glory for ‘rescuing’ the village of Forestgate from the first attack and/or Aelfric’s loggers from the second attack?

Basically, with the events involved, how much Glory should a character receive?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Enno
    Henchman

Doing good deeds, and talk about it, is the motto. When they don’t do the latter after an adventure, they’ll get no glory.

a) Is there a set Glory Award for killing the named wildcards, Melasion & Grimbjorn? For being outnumbered?

Usually defeating a (named) wild card gives you a bonus modifier according to the Glorious Deeds Table.
    You might give an extra 1 or 2 glory points at the end though, especially when there were many witnesses or our heroes did remarkably well at the end fight.

b) One character hit a previously uninjured Grimbjorn with a fire bolt, aced a few times for damage, and ended up with 30 damage in one shot. This seems like it would be worth a glory point, or is this a bonus for the variable roll when the characters start telling their tale when they get back to civilization? [If yes, then hypothetically of course, if an evil GM used a benny or three to soak three wounds, does this prevent the Glory since Grimbjorn is not killed in one shot?]

Grimbjorn is an Extra, not a Wild Card. But for the sake of this example, we might ignore the limits of Beast Master, and make the plant bear a WC at our table.

As far as Glory is concerned, killing a wild card in one blow in an adventure is just an additional modifier for the Persuasion roll. If there are many witnesses an extra glory point or two might be added at the end (see the last answer).

There is nothing “evil” in soaking wounds. Even the GM might do it for his NPCs. The GM has to decide if he gives the player his “heroic moment” or if he “rescues the NPC” here. Getting a hit for potential 5+ wounds makes successful soaking already sketchy anyway, so i won’t do it as a GM.

c) Are there set Glory awards given for saving thousands of lives by stopping the Black Ones? (The heroes even asked the wood wight if it would lead them to any other sap infected animals in the forest so they could make sure the Black Ones’ sap was destroyed.)

d) Is there Glory for ‘rescuing’ the village of Forestgate from the first attack and/or Aelfric’s loggers from the second attack?

It is noted under Rescue on page 101. Each might be worth up to an extra +3 Glory.

Basically, with the events involved, how much Glory should a character receive?

None really, because it all depends on the success of the Persuasion roll, and if they tell their story after the adventure. And even if the roll is successful, the Glory Points might vary regardless of their involvement because each individual member of the party rolls the glory dice for him- or herself. So, even the big hero might end up with just 2 Glory points while his fellow hero might get more despite acting from the background.

Only reaching certain milestones in an adventure might give you a few points fixed glory afterward.

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

Cnut
    Minion

Thank you very much for the feedback!!!

Grimbjorn is an Extra, not a Wild Card.

One question on Extra vs Wild Cards. My understanding is when an Extra takes one wound it goes down.

My copy has the following paragraph regarding the attack on the logging camp:

Grimbjorn the bear remains out of sight until the minions engage the defenders. His orders are to crush the stiffest resistance (likely the player characters) without overly endangering his life. As soon as he takes two wounds, he tries to flee into the night.

Cnut
    Minion

I guess my question was to get specific numbers, even if that number is “d6 or 2d6 with a raise.” I’m a bit lost on where a glory award is a bonus to the return to civilization persuasion roll vs a +1 to +3 Glory.

After each adventure, and only when the heroes return to civilization, one of the party may begin telling the tale of their epic battles and heroic deeds. The character makes a Persuasion roll, modified as below.

Assume a hero runs through The Dark Seed adventure. Assume he is heroic and does everything possible to get Glory by being a true heroic hero. Assume he gets a raise on his Persuasion roll. What is the maximum amount of non-variable Glory he could receive.

One Example is +2 Glory for “rescuing a few tens” or villagers at Forestgate.

Where are there other places where set Glory might be awarded vs. the modifier to the variable Glory roll?

As as aside, I didn’t catch the part where each party member rolled their glory separately. Thanks for the clarification.

Thank you again and sorry for being a bit slow on the uptake here.

Happy New Year!

Enno
    Henchman

Thank you very much for the feedback!!!

Grimbjorn is an Extra, not a Wild Card.

One question on Extra vs Wild Cards. My understanding is when an Extra takes one wound it goes down.

This is correct, as described in SWD core under the paragraph Damage Effects (page 77). They’re Up, Down, or Off the Table.
    But Extras with a wound aren’t dead. They can be healed magically, soak any wounds or being healed normally after a battle (see Aftermath, SWD p. 88).
    So, a simple Heal spell by Melasion will get a wounded Grimbjorn running again.

My copy has the following paragraph regarding the attack on the logging camp:

Grimbjorn the bear remains out of sight until the minions engage the defenders. His orders are to crush the stiffest resistance (likely the player characters) without overly endangering his life. As soon as he takes two wounds, he tries to flee into the night.

This may seem to be a typo at first glance, but it refers to when and how much damage a character takes (Wild Card like Extra), is eventually soaked, and how much damage he finally suffers in Savage Worlds.

Due to exploding dice, any character might take an open-ended amount of damage. Take your fire bolt with 30 points of damage as an example. With Toughness 12 (2) due to the armor spell this corresponds to 5 potential wounds which have to be soaked with 5 raises to negate this attack. A raise too few and Grimbjorn is down. This reflects the severity of an attack. An attack with 6 wounds damage is much more severe, than one with only 1 wound damage, because it’s harder to counter it effectively.
    With 3 raises short, Grimbjorn still suffers only 1 wound despite taking 5 wounds, because the bear is an Extra. Wild Cards, on the other hand, may suffer up to 3 wounds. So they might still be standing and active, if they soak at least 2 of the 5 wounds.

In The Wood turns wild it is noted, that Grimbjorn tries to flee into the night, as soon as the bear takes two wounds. It is also noted that Melasion is watching the battle from deep in the forest, and plays no part in the encounter. Except for maintaining an armor spell on his companion (which raises its Toughness 12 (2), so your 30 point fire bolt does only 5 wounds), and heal any damage as noted in Circle of Stones, while watching from the forest.
    So Grimbjorn tries to flee as soon an attack roll by the players gets to 20+, resulting in potentially 2 wounds, of which gets only 1 wound if not soaked or healed. With 1 Wound Grimbjorn is Shaken, cannot take any actions, but can move his usual Pace (no running). Most likely he’ll try to move into the woods to his master to be healed.
    In the end these 2 point damage just emphasize that the heroes are able to deliver so much damage eventually.

I guess my question was to get specific numbers, even if that number is “d6 or 2d6 with a raise.” I’m a bit lost on where a glory award is a bonus to the return to civilization persuasion roll vs a +1 to +3 Glory.

Before you make the Glory roll you analyze the last adventure according to the Glorious Deeds Table. Is the storyteller a skald (+1 modifier)? What was the highest player character rank (Seasoned = -1 glory roll modifier)? How much did the foes outnumber our heroes (Mostly 2:1 giving a +1 modifier)? What was the highest Toughness among your foes (Grimbjorn has Toughness 12 due to armor, giving a +2 glory roll modifier)? How many of your foes were (named) Wild Cards (Tendril thing for a +1, and Melasion for a +2 glory modifier)? Finally, Melasion knows 6 powers, giving the players another +2 modifier.

So the Glory roll should end up with a final modifier of +8 or so, making a raise with 2W6 Glory points for our heroes most likely (regardless if he skald even tries to better the odds with boost persuasion, or other situational modifiers).

Assume a hero runs through The Dark Seed adventure. Assume he is heroic and does everything possible to get Glory by being a truly heroic hero. Assume he gets a raise on his Persuasion roll. What is the maximum amount of non-variable Glory he could receive?

Depends on his deeds, as described under Fixed Glory Awards. Rescuing the loggers gives +2 Glory points. If they did anything especially heroic give each hero another situational +1 Glory points.

So, in the end, each player rolled separately for 2d6+3 Glory points.

Thank you again and sorry for being a bit slow on the uptake here.

Happy New Year!

You’re welcome. 😉

Gesælige niwe gear!

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

Cnut
    Minion

Thank you Enno! That is very helpful.

So being a leader of the winning side in a major battles give out significant glory, but that is exactly what happens in real life so it makes perfect sense.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close