Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
German map of Rassilon available!

Home Forums Savage Worlds – Core Rules & Savage Settings Hellfrost German map of Rassilon available!

• This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years, 1 month ago by Enno. This post has been viewed 1664 times
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Enno
    Henchman

As some of you might know Hellfrost has a german translation.

Currently the Kreaturenbuch (Bestiary) is near publication.

There were technical difficulties with the map of Rassilon, when the german Gazetteer was published, but these have been fixed now.

So FYI…

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

Very interesting to see how some of the names have come out during translation. Splittermoor is one of my favorites. ๐Ÿ™‚

Wiggy
    Triple Ace Games Creative Director
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Enno
    Henchman

All the honors to the team at Prometheus Games, that did a wonderful job. I’m still honored to be a minor part of this project.

It was often no simple task to find a catchy translation, that covered any of the subtleties or puns of the original, yet wasn’t a puffy monstrosity that didn’t sound “right” or was just ridiculous.

You can take my word for it that i for instance pore over numerous dictionaries of high german, norse and saxon languages to find a translation or transcription for any “special cases”. Writing the glossary took us some time…

In the case of Shattered Moor the german translation “Geborstenes/Zerborstenes Moor” sounds somewhat clunky, while “Zerbrochenes/Gebrochenes Moor” twangs like a land of bilge drinkers. Splittermoor isn’t an exact translation, but it’s catchy – at least for german ears.

Some of the translations will be debatable, as always. ๐Ÿ˜‰

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

It was often no simple task to find a catchy translation, that covered any of the subtleties or puns of the original, yet wasnโ€™t a puffy monstrosity that didnโ€™t sound โ€œrightโ€ or was just ridiculous.

I can only imagine the difficulties. We’re lucky various invaders left us Brits bits we could use to save on words and letters: -by = village, -ton = enclosure, and so on. I assume German has similar endings? What does “nut” mean in Seidrnut mean, for instance?

My German is very poor unless I’m drunk (at which time it sounds okay to me), so my translation skills are limited, but I’m guessing out of curiosity that “Die Herrenlosen Lander” means something like “the land without nobles/lords”?

Wiggy
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Enno
    Henchman

Seidrnut. It was one of those compromises to translate “Town of Magic”. We settled with the more obscure -nut ending, because the ordinary alternatives sounded more like fairy tale or a charlatans sideshow, than a fantasy realm.

Herrenlos also means unadrift, ownerless, and abandoned. This was a relatively easy one.

In retrospect retaining the original names would have been much easier. But as always, hindsight is easier than foresight.

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

In retrospect retaining the original names would have been much easier. But as always, hindsight is easier than foresight.

I think it’s only natural to translate names where you can. Of course, it isn’t always possible — Angarion doesn’t mean anything in any real language — and in some cases it might be best not to try. Translating Rushton, for example, in its literal meaning would mean calling it “the enclosure by the rushes.” Anyway, I’m certainly not qualified to comment on the choice of names — I ask questions out of curiosity only. ๐Ÿ™‚

Wiggy
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Enno
    Henchman

No offense taken, because we had the same discussions about certain translations in the german forums already. You can’t be everybody’s darling.

In the case of Rushton it wasn’t clear if you meant haste, the plant, something like the Gold rush, or nearby rapids. I settled for the plant because of the nearby river delta. But Binsingen, as would have been called, sounds somewhat ridiculous, and more like a backwater swabian village then a bustling city.

As i said, the job wasn’t easy… ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close