Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
Effects of Banter in Duels
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Runeslinger
    Minion

When characters are engaged in exciting duels with villainous opposition, have your players been adding in cutting jibes and banter to match and enhance their swordplay?

Ubiquity has a lot of flexibility for action resolution, such as skill synergy. How have people been running their dialogue-heavy duels to make the cruel sting of words intertwine with the bite of a sharply honed edge?

It doesn't matter that it has all been said before~
    Casting Shadows

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

I’d certainly allow a synergy bonus in combat from talkie/taunty skills (Con & Intimidation are the obvious two), but I’d expect an attempt to roleplay it. Otherwise it’s just an excuse to add more dice by buying a level or two in an otherwise unrelated skill. You can always use Tricks (physical or verbal) in combat, of course.

Wiggy
    Triple Ace Games Creative Director
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Runeslinger
    Minion

Roleplay uber alles!

How about the Bold ____ Talents? I like to have this approach/quality explored in play as well~

In a duel, I like it when players interrupt the back and forth of combat to impugn each others’ honor for a full round of insults.

It doesn't matter that it has all been said before~
    Casting Shadows

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

How about the Bold ____ Talents? I like to have this approach/quality explored in play as well~

All the stat changers should ideally describe their action. An intelligent swordsman doesn’t just hack at his foes. A dextrous brawler doesn’t swing haymakers.

GM’s shouldn’t stifle color description by strict adherence to the rules, either. If the dextrous pugilist says “I nip inside and deliver three kidney punches in rapid succession,” I’m not going to say “sorry, but you deliver one punch unless you use Total Attack.” He still only gets one Brawl roll, but the description stands, and that’s how it’s visualized in the “mind-telly.”

Of course, there are limits. If the a character says “I swing a haymaker to catch all three villains adjacent to me” then that’s different — he’s describing a very specific combat maneuver (Sweep). As a description alone, he misses two (or they duck) and he punches one since he can only attack one opponent.

It’s a minor juggling act, but at the end of the day, if the player is trying to get into the descriptive flow of combat and not gain a rules advantage, them GMs should favor the description. Just apply the rules as normal. 🙂

Wiggy
    Triple Ace Games Creative Director
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Althalus
    Minion

GM’s shouldn’t stifle color description by strict adherence to the rules, either. If the dextrous pugilist says “I nip inside and deliver three kidney punches in rapid succession,” I’m not going to say “sorry, but you deliver one punch unless you use Total Attack.” He still only gets one Brawl roll, but the description stands, and that’s how it’s visualized in the “mind-telly

To me (out of practical experience) an attack is not just one action, but a sequence of actions that leads to a specific result. So, the roll handles just the outcome, not the action in itself.

No serious pugilist would just throw a straight left alone – as this is most likely to get blocked or stepped aside. Instead he would throw a series of straights to keep the opponent occupied and open him up for the real punch – the last one´s the one that counts.

So, to stick to your example, I would say, that the ‘normal’ mode for the pugilist is to punch fast and step nimbly, but a Total Attack would be a flurry of blows, without keeping his guard up and driving forward relentlessly.

The same goes for every combat-maneuver, be that an acrobatic dive for the legs or a witty remark about the opponents nose – it could change the outcome of the action, so it´s thrown into the dice-pool. But the dice do just give a result – it´s up to the players and GM to describe how that comes to be. 😉

If my English seems awkward, it´s because I´m from Austria. 😉
    Alex

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close