Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
Disruption

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  rsp29a 2 years, 6 months ago. This post has been viewed 173 times

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author

rsp29a
    Minion

Question regarding disrupting maintained powers.

In the SWD book, it states “To maintain concentration for all of his powers, the hero makes one opposed arcane skill roll versus the damage he suffered.” Is ‘the damage suffered’ the total damage roll or (damage roll minus toughness)?

Enno
    Henchman

You roll when shaken or wounded: http://forum.tripleacegames.com/viewtopic.php?p=23328#23328

Don’t forget the modifier due to the number of powers maintained.

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

rsp29a
    Minion

But if you only roll when shaken or when taking a wound, then toughness is negating the damage taken any time the damage is less then toughness, so would you roll against the remaining damage (minus toughness) or total damage? The main question is regarding the term “damage taken” as any damage less than the character’s toughness isn’t “damage taken” as there is no shaken or wound associated with it. So do you roll the damage taken (damage roll minus toughness), or the total damage (not adjusted for the character’s toughness)?

rsp29a
    Minion

Sorry confused “damage taken” with “damage suffered” in that last post…

Enno
    Henchman

Damage is compared to your Toughness, not reduced by it. The result (after applying cover protection and eventual Soaking) are the number of wounds taken.

The part about suffering damage is emphasized because if your hero is unaffected by the damage, he does not have to roll.

When affected by the damage (aka wounded or shaken), the TN would be equal to the total damage result.

Note, that in the opposed roll your spells are only maintained if your roll is higher.

rsp29a
    Minion

Enno,
    Where are you drawing these rules from? I’m new to SWs and the forums and I’m not sure who’s a developer and who isn’t on here. I appreciate the response either way, but want to make sure the rules I’m using are the rules per the developers and not an oppinion of another poster (says we’re both “Minions”). Either way, I have two follow up comments/questions:

1) If two people are Shaken, isn’t it the same effect whether you have a Toughness of 4 or a Toughness of 10? For instance, to recover from Shaken, the TN is always 4, whether the damage roll was a 6 or a 13.

Why would the game suddenly shift to a system where one Shaken condition is different to another Shaken condition, when in all other instances it’s always the same and always relative to the character? This seems an odd “throwback,” gaming-wise, to hit points, which is otherwise absent in SWs. If one Shaken condition is worse than another, depending on the damage roll, then shouldn’t recovering from those conditions be based on the damage roll as well?

2) The rules state the concentration roll is an opposed role, but that means a tie can happen. Per the SWD “Opposed Rolls” section: “In a tie, the two foes continue to struggle with no clear victor.” This seems odd as how do you continue to struggle with a damage roll? The answer seems to be “you can’t. Either you beat the number or you lose.” However, if that’s the case, shouldn’t the roll be against a “TN of the damage dealt,” not an opposed roll?

Wondering why in this instance an opposed roll doesn’t allow a tie, which is allowed per the definition of an opposed roll. Other opposed rolls may not allow a tie either and I’m just not aware of them, but as of now, I’m not aware of any other exceptions to this rule. Wondering what makes this different and/or how to determine which other opposed rolls do not allow ties.

In general it just seems weird that it’s nearly impossible to maintain concentration if you have a high Toughness, yet that’s supposed to mean you’re a tougher character. However that “tougher character” is disrupted a lot easier than a “less tough” character when faced with the same circumstance (being Shaken).

Thanks for the response Enno; I do appreciate you taking the time as I try to wrap my head around the SW system.

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

By the rules no one on these forums can officially answer core rules questions – only PEG retains that authority. 🙂

There’s a couple of PEG posts on the topic, which pretty much sum up Enno’s response.

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=415752&highlight=shaken+disruption#415752
    http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=414991&highlight=shaken+disruption#414991
    http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=385478&highlight=shaken+disruption#385478

In short, though…

* You roll for disruption if damage is equal to or greater than your Toughness (i.e. you are Shaken or wounded).

* The target number is always greater than the damage (not equal). If your Toughness is 8 and you take 8 damage, you are Shaken and your disruption target is 9+.

Wiggy
    Triple Ace Games Creative Director
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Enno
    Henchman

1. We are not talking about Recover from Shaken but about Disruption of a spell, which is only interesting when Shaken or Wounded. The former is Spirit roll against TN4, but the latter against the total damaged suffered.
    Example: Your wisard has a Toughness of 6 and is hit with 30 points of damage due to a raise and exploding dice. Theoretically that would be 6 “wounds”. Your lucky wisard throws a benny and soaks all but 1, which leaves him Shaken. That qualifies for an opposed roll for Disruption, modified by the number of spells maintained and eventual former wounds and fatigue, against the WHOLE damage suffered (here 30 points, not the 10 after soaking)
    2. The rule for disruption (Deluxe EE p119) says that “If his roll is higher, he
    maintains all of his spells.” So even in the case of the tie all maintained spells are gone. *poof*
    BUT here comes the Bennie into play: You can use one at ANY TIME to neutralize a Shaken condition. No Shaken, no opposed roll, spells still running. We had this quite often over the years.

The inner workings of SW are pretty straightforward it got used to them. But they often follow other lines of thought then most other mainstream rpg systems.

rsp29a
    Minion

Thanks guys!

rsp29a
    Minion

Last two question on this regarding Power durations in Hellfrost:

1) I saw a previous forum post that stated in the Hellfrost setting, Powers do not auto maintain through their initial duration. That is, Powers can be Disrupted at any point (even if not yet being Maitained). I couldn’t find anything stating that Power durations are handled differently in the Hellfrost PDF (I may have missed it) and just wanted to confirm that I’m playing it correctly.

2) In Hellfrost, does the -1 from Maintaining a Power kick in as soon as the Power is activated, or does the -1 only apply after the initial duration is completed and the character chooses to maintain it?

Sorry for all the question but you guys are a great resource for those learning the game. Thanks again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close