Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
Broken Combination?
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author

One of my players is a frostborn hrimwisard, currently only at Novice.

Looking forward, he’s looking to take Elemental Form and choose Coldfire Elemental as well as Energy Immunity with fire as the immunity.

This combination makes him completely invulnerable, especially given that both are Maintained.

Has this been the subject of an errata as I really don’t want to have a completely invulnerable PC wandering around and for the game to degenerate into an old fashioned PC vs DM games?

My immediate thought is to house rule Elemental Form from Maintained to a duration but even this would cause problems as most combat situations would end very quickly.

Any thoughts and guidance greatly appreciated.

Enno
    Henchman

He’s NOT completely invulnerable, as he may be wounded by other energy forms and gets half damage by fire on a normal success. Furthermore he has to roll against any damage and shaken to maintain a spell, modified by the temperature as usual. Hope that clarifies it. πŸ™‚

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

Does the damage not need to affect you, to force you to roll?

My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage!

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

Any trapping except cold and fire will affect him normally. Cast smite on any weapon and it’s now magical. Dispel and negate arcana are his enemies. Not every NPC spellcaster stats list those, but they’re stock characters – GMs are expected to tweak them to balance with the party. Earth and water elementals can still pound his butt. They’re magical creatures.

If those options don’t appeal, house rule elemental form. Instead of every special ability he gets Elemental (no wound penalties, fearless, no called shots, immune to poison/disease), takes half damage from cold/coldfire/ice attacks, and +4 damage from heat/fire.

Wiggy
    Triple Ace Games Creative Director
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Thanks all. I guess I was panicking a little and not thinking ahead far enough. I’m sure I’ll get around it to everyone’s satisfaction.

Panic mode – ended.

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

Just to further calm your panic, spells like stun, entangle, and knockdown will affect him regardless of their trappings. Energy immunity only works against spells where you roll for damage (none of the above), and the full write up of Invulnerability (which certain elementals have) states “Invulnerable creatures can be Shaken, but they can’t be wounded by anything but their Weakness…” (SWD p.132). Heck, slumber is just evil when used against spellcasters – if he falls asleep, his Maintained spells drop automatically. Physical harm isn’t the only way to take him down in a fight, mate. πŸ™‚

Remember as well that in game he’s going to get noticed and word will spread (assuming he wants any Glory). If civilized people see him as a threat, they will take steps to neutralize him. That’s not a player vs. GM thing – it’s a logical world reacting to a perceived danger. I mean let’s face it, being a frostborn AND a hrimwisard just screams “I worship Thrym!” The truth rarely comes into these things when the mob is aroused. πŸ™‚ See Encounter #22 in Hellfrost Encounters for just such an example of overt racism at work.

Wiggy
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Thanks Wiggy! Strangely enough, they’ve just been through that very encounter and it didn’t end as well as it could have (one frostborn dead, one Kenaz cleric dead, lots of villagers dead – damned paladin of Tiw). The consequences of that have yet to catch up with them (Kev, don’t read this bit LOL).

I’m going to flavour things a bit more to the more off-hand trappings, some of which I particularly like the look of.

And wandering around in known lands looking like a coldfire elemental is sure to bring the forces of justice a-calling.

You know if you do not want me to read something put it before it not after it!!!!

πŸ˜›

My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage!

TAG Wiggy
    Administrator

Is Savage Doswelk the player in question? Throw 20 ancient storm dragons at him! He likes those sorts of odds. πŸ˜‰

Wiggy
    wiggy@tripleacegames.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just so you are aware I will also be looking to be invisible as well!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close