Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
Boost / Lower Trait in Hellfrost

Home Forums Savage Worlds – Core Rules & Savage Settings Hellfrost Boost / Lower Trait in Hellfrost

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Awroe
    Minion

I didn’t mean to start a huge debate here folks but it’s very interesting to see everybody’s opinions. The original question was asked because Novice level characters were carving through enemies like a knife through butter and it seemed wrong. The ruling that the Boost / Lower can only be cast on a single target balances it IMHO.

Regarding a priest casting the spell umpteen times in order to secure the raise, I agree that the wrath of the gods should be more apparent 🙂

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.”
    David Gemmell.

Enno
    Henchman

The wrath of the gods is obvious: Lesser bennies.

Again, on my table Boost/Lower was never out of wack. First, because the spell was cast on more then one member of the team. Second, as said its usually only good for one or two traits anyway. Third, clerics are advised to cast miracles only on followers of their god (on non-believers for a corresponding fee or service). Finally, a flat +2 is always better then stepping up one die.

In the end, it’s your game.

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

2. It is the purpose of Boost/Lower to make trait rolls (attributes and skills) easier or more difficult. And yes, it is particularly useful for unskilled rolls.

Enno,

I pulled this quote from page 2 of this thread. I didn’t think Boost could make an unskilled person skilled. You need to have a skill (at least a d4) in order to give it a “Boost”, yes?

Enno
    Henchman

Wrong.

According to the Pinnacle forum, Boost Trait can give a character a d4 if they don’t have the skill at all.
    The skill is even considered “learned” for the purpose of Cooperative rolls etc for the duration of the spell.

amerigoV
    Minion

amerigoV, that’s actually another good way to handle it. I guess my only concern is for clerics that abuse their mild backlash to make 10-20 faith rolls every morning in order to get those raises, while the rest of the table just sits there waiting. But I think warning the player that doing that kind of thing can annoy the gods as they are basically wasting blessings in hopes of garnering even more power from the god. If I was a god, that would piss me off for sure.

If you want to have more fun for the enemies to offset any “overbuffing”- the Big Bad Evil Guy (BBEG) need not be a spellcaster yet can have a ton of buffs on them. You can have a bunch of Extra priests/arcane casters cast buffs on the BBEG and their key henchmen. The best part is they need not be in the same room to Maintain. So the group may have to decide on searching more of the area to kill off the Extras to weaken the BBEG (but that might alert the BBEG depending on what buff dropped) or taken on a fully buffed BBEG. Its a nice change from the Core SW rules.

Left is Death!

Enno
    Henchman

Cross-buffing is a typical method for a spellcaster to efficiently support their group, which has mentioned in this forum often over the years. Heroes usually have priests and magicians in their ranks, be it wild cards or hired extras. Of course, the same applies to their opponents as well, be it the jarl of a neighboring realm or a mighty giant warrior prince.
    This minimizes the risk of buff spells being disrupted and maximizes the effect on the group. It is important to note that the mages which maintain the support spells do not need to be in the front row or present at all.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close