Your gateway to fun filled adventure!
Boost / Lower Trait in Hellfrost

Home Forums Savage Worlds – Core Rules & Savage Settings Hellfrost Boost / Lower Trait in Hellfrost

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Enno
    Henchman

There is no difference between casting spells outside a fight or inside!

If it takes you 12 rounds to buff you with all the spells you wannt, it always takes you 12 rounds. The chances are the same, only with the difference that in battle your casting will likely be disturbed by enemy attacks and any disruption of running miracles is likely more annoying.

In terms of the rules, it makes no difference whether the priest has received the -2 casting modifier by fatigue, wounds or a sin.

High Priest of Hoenir & Champion of Qedeshet

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think we are in agreement- the time spent is the same, but out of combat casting has fewer implications. Those implications are part of why maintained spells seem out of balance to my, Boost Lower in particular.

Enno
    Henchman

Not fewer, others!
    But as long as the same modifiers apply to all spellcasters equally, there is no imbalance. And Boost/Lower doesn’t even play a role here, because this spell is so widespread and commonly available.

I already described the main points in your older threads. The concept of the deliberately quite potent magic in Hellfrost is admittedly not easy to grasp. However, it should not be difficult to accept it as is, as long as both sides use it similarily.

Spell Balance

Balance

Enno
    Henchman

Sins represent the virtues of a cleric. They are the moral compass and guideline of every decent character. Unlike Hindrances, they must be followed. They are the price of being endowed with power and magic.

Breaking these religious rules because of a moral dilemma is the dominant theme of every priest and paladin. In Hellfrost, the game master must strictly ensure that clerics follow their rules of faith strictly on the one hand, but are always tempted to violate them on the other.
    Much of this should happen in-game. Forcing a player character into a certain situation is not fun for anyone and should be avoided. At best, the player goes with the flow, because failures and missteps create the most interesting situations.

Magic and mysteries are the domain of a priest of Maera. This is also reflected in the list of sins. They are forbidden to weaken magic or destroy relics of any kind if they do not use up magic. They must practice magic every day and pray to the moon every night. These religious rules are straightforward and leave little room for interpretation.
    The order not to reduce any mage’s casting abilities either directly or through others is very important. This refers to any kind of magician, be it a druid or a skald. Strictly speaking, it concerns not only the permanent reduction of the arcane skill, but also the arcane attribute (= smarts). So you must not allow a creature, relic or spell to permanently reduce these traits. Strictly speaking, they would also have to ensure that an injury is at least not permanent (e. g. brain damage on the Injury Table).

Rigr demands that his faithful are always vigilant. Whether it’s an ambush, a trap, a surprising rockfall or a change in the weather, they mustn’t miss anything. Here too, the sins are relatively easy to implement in the game. But don’t make it easy for them! Give them ambush from the left that distracts from the trap on the right. Make sure he begins his sentry duty relatively tired and exhausted. Or that one of his comrades is tired and falls asleep during his watch.

Followers of the Unknowable One must trick or at least mock their opponents. That’s where they have to prove their mastery. If someone beats them in their game, who isn’t as talented as they are, it is a sin. Because Test of Will and Tricks are opposed rolls there is always the possibility of failure because a success is every roll above your opponents. The regular TN 4 doesn’t apply here. So when your trickster rolls badly and has no Benny to reroll, even the village idiot can trick him with a throw of 3. At least it’s only a minor sin.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“I already described the main points in your older threads.”- Enno

Oh, that’s too bad. I was hoping for new insight, since my problem remains.

Enno
    Henchman

“The monk solved his immediate problem by giving a little whimper and fainting.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Truckers

Quigs
    Minion

Oh, that’s too bad. I was hoping for new insight, since my problem remains.

Remember the rules for disruption too. You want to walk around with 4 spells active on you, one shaken result, fatigue or wound could cause you to drop them all.

Alternatively you could tell the players that all spellcasters may reroll a maximum of once per rank when rolling their “add-day powers”. So a Novice caster would get two rolls in the morning to activate his spells. Any rolls after that would piss off the gods (or GM) to the point where sin penalties could be imposed.

amerigoV
    Minion

Alternatively you could tell the players that all spellcasters may reroll a maximum of once per rank when rolling their “add-day powers”. So a Novice caster would get two rolls in the morning to activate his spells. Any rolls after that would piss off the gods (or GM) to the point where sin penalties could be imposed.

I have not seen this abused in my game, but lets put it this way – if you know why they are doing it and the player knows why they are doing it, then the god knows why they are doing it.

If they want to keep rerolling Armor to get the Raise (for example) then the god might get annoyed. They might grant the high power (make the roll), but let it be known they are annoyed (ie, your Armor is +4, but a Random encounter follows – might suck up someones Bennies).

Left is Death!

Enno
    Henchman

Even if a spellcaster uses Boost/Lower to boost her arcane skill to d12, it is no misuse from my point of view. Every roll risks a failure for the spells to be recast again, bennies are limited and at the end, she has just improved 2-3 traits by one or two dice steps. Add the spells to be cast and maintained for the team and it looks completely different. And don’t forget that just one simple Shaken or 1 point of damage might negate all spells at once.
    Furthermore, friend and foe use magic the same way.
    Since I have been playing Hellfrost, none of my players complained about being disadvantaged by magic.

Quigs
    Minion

amerigoV, that’s actually another good way to handle it. I guess my only concern is for clerics that abuse their mild backlash to make 10-20 faith rolls every morning in order to get those raises, while the rest of the table just sits there waiting. But I think warning the player that doing that kind of thing can annoy the gods as they are basically wasting blessings in hopes of garnering even more power from the god. If I was a god, that would piss me off for sure.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close