Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AFO
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all let's understand that AFO is just a setting for the Ubiquity system just as HEX and LoA are. Hellfrost is a setting for Savage Worlds as is Sundered Skies. The game isn't going to die because, quite rightly, TAG are trying to provide variety for the Ubiquity system rather than just concentrate on one setting.

I don't think TAG needs help from fans but that doesn't mean fans can't be forthcoming with their own creative material and make it available for other fans.

Althalus

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that doesn't mean fans can't be forthcoming with their own creative material and make it available for other fans.

There´s the small issue of Copyright. Everything thats made available publicly has to respect the rights of the Copyright-owner.
In the case of AfO thats a double problem. Some things are TAGs, some are Exiles, who hold the rights to HEX (and therefore, every system-item).

So, without any definite rule-set, as to who is allowed to use what, any fan-material is going to be problematic.
The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see it being as big a problem as you suggest. I'm not suggesting that people quote from the rulebooks. Heck, fans are writing material for Savage Worlds on a large scale and I know a lot of people have made material for HEX as well (the Mythic Eras website was always a great resource for this). I'm sure that both EGS and TAG will support any fan material so long as it doesn't infringe on their intellectual property.

Althalus

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sure that both EGS and TAG will support any fan material so long as it doesn't infringe on their intellectual property.

Maybe - but I know of at least two RPG-publishers who actually sued fans for using logos, setting-info, etc. on their fan-pages. The problem arises as to what is intellectual property of whom.

But I can give you a good example of how something like that may work:
The french publisher Sans-Detour came out with Les Chroniqués des Féals last year. They put out one book (rules & setting) and a GM-screen so far. As their manpower is also rather bound (publishing HEX and Cthulhu in french), they did exactly what I suggested in my last post - publishing fan-written material (scenarios) in a standard layout as free PDFs on their site.
So far, there are five free adventures available and only one new book that´s been announced so far, but the fan-base is growing.
The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Althalus wrote:
...I know of at least two RPG-publishers who actually sued fans for using logos, setting-info, etc. on their fan-pages. The problem arises as to what is intellectual property of whom.

Perhaps TAG and/or EGS would consider creating a Fan logo in a similar vein to the one created by PEG Inc. for Savage Worlds?

TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Althalus wrote:
Maybe - but I know of at least two RPG-publishers who actually sued fans for using logos, setting-info, etc. on their fan-pages. The problem arises as to what is intellectual property of whom.

Our rules are rather more flexible. No cutting and pasting anything from the core book, no making money off our intellectual property, no passing it off as official or approved, and due acknowledgement of copyright so visitors to the site know who owns the setting and system, i.e., TAG and EGS. A link is always nice, as that can be reciprocated by us.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: