Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enchanted items and dagger control

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Enchanted items and dagger control Reply with quote

I made a thread about enchanted daggers flying around and mention was made of how to control the,. I was thnking about that and came up with another question.

In the "To Woo a Lady" Pierre the Enchanter creates a 12 hour jacket of +2 Charisma. As long as he wears the jacket he gets the benefit. If he removes it, he loses the benefit. If someone else puts on the jacket they would get the benefit. In the same way an enchanter could imbue a firnds sword with a damage bonus or skill bonus.

In the case of the animated daggers with 500' range. If the enchanter lent the daggers to another person, would they gain control over the daggers and be able to control them? Would they gain knowledge of what the daggers could do? Could he be told how to use words or gestures to control the blades?

And if whoever gains control over the dagger gets control, could an opponent perform a trick to imbed the daggers in a wall, or wrap it in a cloak and then grab the blade and take control over the item? It makes having an enchanted weapon a little riskier. They could be sent back at you.

All other magic use is subtle and has no overt tingles or feelings, which allows the 'nillas to be 'blessed' and not be aware of the help they are getting. But controlling an enchanted dagger would be an overt thing, especially if the mundane person can use 'The Force' gestures (to steal Wiggy's line) to control them.

Any thoughts on this?
The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say no on all counts here but, of course, this is in no way an official answer - only Wiggy can give that. I would say that the enchanted dagger still has a spiritual connection to the caster so the dagger can't be "hijacked' or control passed on to another individual.

Now, allowing a magician to cast the enchantment so that another person is given control from the beginning is another question entirely. I'd probably rule that this could be done but, again, that would mean that the enchanter can not gain control of the dagger at a later point.

CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think that is a good base to start with, having the enchanter in control of daggers. Using an item like a boosted sword or the jacket is not commanding the spirits, so they follow the original instructions of the caster.

A person without Magickal Aptitude or perhaps Magick Sensitivity lacks a connection to the spirits and cannot control them.

Making an item with the option of having a person you choose to control it is an interesting option. again, it may well be Aptitude or Sensitivity restricted. It's the controlling the spirits concept that is the stumbling block to my mind. Otherwise how would a person sense the spirits as being available to control?
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GIT! wrote:
I'd have to say no on all counts here but, of course, this is in no way an official answer - only Wiggy can give that. I would say that the enchanted dagger still has a spiritual connection to the caster so the dagger can't be "hijacked' or control passed on to another individual.

Now, allowing a magician to cast the enchantment so that another person is given control from the beginning is another question entirely. I'd probably rule that this could be done but, again, that would mean that the enchanter can not gain control of the dagger at a later point.

Agreed, but with one small difference -- I'd only allow a magician to be attuned to the daggers. Mere mortals have no concept of how to control them.

CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Magickal Aptitude and a Magickal Skill only to control a controllable item?, and it has to be done with the permission of the caster?

Could a caster enchant an item and hand it over later? or enchant it with the option of passing on to whomever they choose, or is it a named person at the time of enchanting?

It's not like there are so many magicians around that they will have a lot of choice, but I am thinking of a coven type situation where there may actually be a few casters around.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person would have to be named in the spell. Not like these are radio controlled toys. Smile

The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanuckAlchemist wrote:
Could a caster enchant an item and hand it over later? or enchant it with the option of passing on to whomever they choose, or is it a named person at the time of enchanting?

Well, if the person is named as the controller and, as Wiggy quite rightly stipulates, he is also a magician, then there's no restriction on when you give the item to the named person other than the duration of the spell itself.

Althalus

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me this sounds a lot like 'artifact use' - which I don´t really feel appropriate for AfO. Magic in AfO is more or less a fleeting thing, directly tied to the mage.

A mage could enchant something to be used by a specific person (who hast to be mage himself to control the damn thing) OR to be used by himself, but I wouldn´t allow this to be switchable.

But of course this stems wholly from my interpretation of AfO as a very low-magic setting, where Alchemy, Homomancy and Benignus are the most useful Arts (because they can rather easily be explained or covered up). Wink
CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I SO want to start a thread and get into a huge discussion about the most useful Arts, but I will just do it here.

As for the magic item issue, enchanters make magic items, it is what they do. All their spells are put into inanimate objects. They can animate weapons to fight on their own. It is not mentioned, but I would allow this animation to be extended to statues to allow them to move as well, just like a Geomancer. Maybe even fight for the Enchanter like a Geomancer as well.

The limits of enchanting I am not sure of. Can he make a flying broom? or does he need transportation to do that? I am not sure. I sort of see enchantment as the Alchemical tradition of spell use, just tied to objects instead of potions. TheGit and I have talked about item creation a bit, and will no doubt have a lot more discussions.

Low Magic Setting: All of my questions stem from having a single magic caster. How much low level can you get. The impact of a single caster is huge, if played to get the most benefit to the party, or threat to the group if the enemy is a caster.

Most useful art: It depends on how you plan to hide the magic use. I use Alchemy as tonics, perfume and cologne. Healing potions are balms to reduce swelling etc., or I use the medical skill boost to reduce damage that way.

I agree Homomancy is a good way to hide magic, nothing flashy, the person is just having a good day, feeling better, gets a lucky move in on attack or defense etc. The same applies to the skill boosting of Benignus. Healing is a little overt, expecially if you have the wounds just close over.

I would argue that Enchantment is just as subtle as Homomancy for the skill bonuses. You are having an on day and hit opponents easily, or they are not as good as you.
The hardening of clothes to increase AC is a little overt I admit, and animated weapons are a dead giveaway, and by dead I mean hanged as a witch. Smile

I think Enchanting is perhaps the easiest to hide from your party if your game requires you to do that. Making the assumption that you might be able to borrow or offer to clean/sharpen everyone's blades might allow them to be held overnight, and you could do an extended spell on several blades at once to give the entire party a skill or damage boost. Just no animation.

Enchanted bandages are another possibility if your GM allows such a bonus to be placed using Enchantment. Again it depends on how you view Enchantment and the limitations of the Art. Enchantment/Benignus may be required.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: