Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opposed Roll vs Skill increase

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Opposed Roll vs Skill increase Reply with quote

I posted a question on Perception and Invisibility a year ago, but I am playing around with enchanters at the moment and wanted to clarify a couple of points.

Suppose you wanted to pass unnoticed in an area, or have people ignore you so you could observe or follow someone without being noticed.

The spell could be constructed 2 ways, one increasing Stealth and the other attacking the Perception of the person viewing the wearer. (Assuming an Enchanter or Homomancer for the effect.)

Increasing a stelath skill would be a simple matter of selecting teh skill bonus

Base: 2
Range: 0 (Individual or item)
Duration: 1 24 hours
Area of Effect: 0 The caster or wearer
Effect: 8 (+10 to Stealth Skill)
Rating: 11

So caster could chant and create an item (if an enchanter), or a personal Spell (if not an enchanter) that raised their Stelath skill by +10 for 24 hours. I think this is pretty straightforward. So even if they did not have the base skill they would get +10 to overcome that, and be very stealthy.

But what if they wanted to make the spell a different way, one that went against the Perception of people looking at them. Would this be a Secondary column or an Opposed Roll?

Base 2
Range: 0
Duration 1 (24 hours)
Area of Effect: ??
Effect: 8 (-10 to Perception or 12 Opposed dice to spot the wearer) ?

Question: Area of Effect: In the Controlling the weak mind the caster has to select an area of effect spell or a number of people and attack Willpower to have them see their Master.

So What AoE or Effect would be needed for a cloak of the Grey Man? Just to be unimportant and beneath notice. Could a spell be cast on the caster in an Individual or in a 5' radius around the caster. Would this be a mobile effect?

Would the spell be against Willpower or Perception? The intent of the spell is to not make them see anything specific, the opposite in fact, just a blending or greying out of the Perception of the caster.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any ideas?
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure the second can be done -- not every spell can be done in every circumstance. If you want to sneak past people at a gate, for instance, you could select Area or People, but not to affect everyone you come across on your walk. Area spells are immobile, and People have to be specified when the spell is cast.

CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of figured that would be the case, and it is right in line with the Controlling the weak mind spell example in the book.

Thanks

any chance I can get you to go and read the onset time potion question in the other thread? that's a neat idea I think and I want your input on it. Smile
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to The Git as well. Smile

CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGit's magick system is heavily modified, so I ask you for official response, and then TheGit for his campaign response.
CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question on the skill potion.
Normally if a person does not have the skill they get to roll their Base Attribute with a -2 penalty (pg 1Cool.

So a skill potion given to a person could offset that untrained penalty, and even provide a bonus if the potion had enough complications.

But could you make a potion as an Opposed roll potion and ignore their base attribute entirely? relying solely on the potion for the result? Using the Opposed column for a base set of dice is relying on the spirits to do the work for the character, and relies more on the strength of the spell.
There may well be times when the person using the potion or spell would actually be better off using the magick as opposed to their innate strengths, especially when the person has a very poor stat, or is wounded, impaired etc.
The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanuckAlchemist wrote:
...could you make a potion as an Opposed roll potion and ignore their base attribute entirely? relying solely on the potion for the result? Using the Opposed column for a base set of dice is relying on the spirits to do the work for the character, and relies more on the strength of the spell.
There may well be times when the person using the potion or spell would actually be better off using the magick as opposed to their innate strengths, especially when the person has a very poor stat, or is wounded, impaired etc.

The rule book states that "The Opposed entry is used for effects which mimic ones requiring an opposed roll or the simulation of a Skill made at a range the Skill could not normally be used" so my initial response to this is...it depends. If you're just trying to enhance a person's skill level by giving them an Opposed rating instead of increasing their skill level then my answer would be no. If a wizard is trying to use a skill at range then he could cast an Opposed based spell on himself to do so. Wiggy may have a different view.

The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanuckAlchemist wrote:
TheGit's magick system is heavily modified, so I ask you for official response, and then TheGit for his campaign response.

Yeah, CanuckAlchemist is also working on some private stuff that won't get used in my campaign. Another thing to consider is that by reducing peoples Perception scores will affect anything that requires the use of Perception, not just the passing of the wizard. Such an effect could be more noticeable and thereby cause more complications in the scene; far better to increase your Stealth.

TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GIT! wrote:
CanuckAlchemist wrote:
...could you make a potion as an Opposed roll potion and ignore their base attribute entirely? relying solely on the potion for the result? Using the Opposed column for a base set of dice is relying on the spirits to do the work for the character, and relies more on the strength of the spell.

The rule book states that "The Opposed entry is used for effects which mimic ones requiring an opposed roll or the simulation of a Skill made at a range the Skill could not normally be used" so my initial response to this is...it depends. If you're just trying to enhance a person's skill level by giving them an Opposed rating instead of increasing their skill level then my answer would be no. If a wizard is trying to use a skill at range then he could cast an Opposed based spell on himself to do so. Wiggy may have a different view.

I don't.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: