Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time Delay for Alchemical Potions (Labwork Potions)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Time Delay for Alchemical Potions (Labwork Potions) Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out a delay for a potion. I want Plausible deniability. I am thinking of creating a histamine reaction, causing hives, or sores like chickenpox and generally incapacitating a person. I want them swollen like a balloon so my potion would look something like

Base 2
Range: 0
Duration: 4 (1 week), I want the person to be incapacitated for a week
Area of Effect: 0 (Individual)
Effect: 4 (-1 to Charisma) or 8 (-2 to Charisma)
Rating: 10 or 14 depending on how nasty I want the effects to be.

The problem is that in the Drawingroom warfare that we are engaged in, I do not want people drinking wine and then ballooning up immediately. I want hours to go by, hoping that the illness and incapacitation is passed off as a normal fever or illness of some sort.

Chemically it would be like a delayed release medication, like one of those 24 hour slow release pills. I just want the onset of effects to be delayed. just so I am not the one blamed for the illness.

Could I make a potion that included a Duration of 0 (12 hours) aspect in the Duration and have it act as a time delay for the potion to go into effect? Or add a +1 difficulty to the potion to raise the difficulty of the potion to reflect the added challenge of making it a time delay item?
The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a toughy Confused I'm inclined to say that the delayed effect time should be calculated separately on top of the duration of the potion, but with an extra +1 Complication due to the slightly different design of the potion. Hence, using 12 hours for both duration and onset time would incur a +1 Complication while a potion designed to start in 3 days time and last for 1 month would incur a Complication value of +11. It may seem extreme but these are complicated compounds and such is the nature of magick in AFO. I will happily wait for Wiggy's take on this before finalizing my houserule for the campaign.

TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GIT! wrote:
This is a toughy Confused I'm inclined to say that the delayed effect time should be calculated separately on top of the duration of the potion, but with an extra +1 Complication due to the slightly different design of the potion. Hence, using 12 hours for both duration and onset time would incur a +1 Complication while a potion designed to start in 3 days time and last for 1 month would incur a Complication value of +11. It may seem extreme but these are complicated compounds and such is the nature of magick in AFO. I will happily wait for Wiggy's take on this before finalizing my houserule for the campaign.

Taking two Complications (one for delay and one for duration) was my line of thought.

As an Area +0 effect, it would have to be dropped into the victim's glass. Not particularly difficult to achieve at a party, but may be better left to someone with good slight of hand abilities. Smile

CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of the same thing, but wanted to check. I sort of like the +1 complication that TheGit mentioned, because if you went with a 12 hour offset, that is still a +0 complication, and seems like getting something for nothing. Not that I am opposed to that, but I want to be fair. Razz
The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:
As an Area +0 effect, it would have to be dropped into the victim's glass. Not particularly difficult to achieve at a party, but may be better left to someone with good slight of hand abilities. Smile

Ah...indeed...we have had some entertaining shenanigans on this very subject already Wink

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: