Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enchanted Dagger
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanuckAlchemist wrote:
I like the range attribute being the range within which the magic can be controlled.

Enchanting is a little odd in that it involves inanimate objects, so the individual target of the spell IS the dagger, not the person you are attacking. So the Area of Effect column is not the correct column. The 'Person' being affected is the dagger, not the first target opponent of the spell.

This is true but you were also asking about the possibility of leaving an enchanted dagger as a possible trap; in this situation I would still suggest the use of an Area of Effect.

CanuckAlchemist wrote:
Just had a thought. Could an enchanter increase his AoE complications and enchant/animate more than one dagger at a time? Have 3 daggers hovering around him for example? Or target three enemy soldiers and have their blades fly out of their scabbards and attack them for a scene? That makes it a much more dangerous spell. Might have to have an area of effect to target all the weapons within that area (+2 for a 10' radius, and another +2 for 3 blades. ) Nasty.

Having the people column used and allowing multiple items to be enchanted could make for very scary villains. +2 complications means 4 floating greatswords between you and the BBEG. Mon Dieu!

I like this idea but I would also stick with Wiggy's earlier suggestion about using Move actions to command the weapons to attack another person; multiple blades could be really cool and scary but might also tax the magicians concentration somewhat.

CanuckAlchemist wrote:
TheGit: Actually, to be a bit rules nitpicky, I think range would not be how far away the focus of the spell is but rather how far the focus of the spell CAN be, so UP to 500 feet as it says in the chart. The description of the villain running away on pg 122 shows that by picking 500 feet the villain may not have time to get beyond the range of the spell. So selecting a 500 foot range for a dagger allows for direction to be made to the dagger up to that range.

This answer is a little different than what is descibed in the necromancer's example of animating the 12 corpses, but let's just leave it alone. Smile

I wasn't making a rules statement, rather just another way of running the situation. I'm perfectly happy to use Range the way you suggest...unless you're trying to set a trap at which point I would make you choose a LOCATION for the focal point and use Area of Effect from that location.

CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, now I understand. Wiggy's answer makes it seem that having an item left as a trap is not a possibility. It needs direct supervision to have it start fighting. So my trap idea is shot down. So is the guarding the bridge unless the last order the blade gets is kill that guy and hope the fight blocks the bridge.

Multiple blades:
You could launch one per round, possibly two if you used a move action for the first blade and an attack action for the second blade. This would mean you were not moving, but if you were hidden that might not matter. Or standing behind mooks and redshirts.

Range:
The only animation example is Baron Louis the Mad on pg 125, and he is animating corpses. Range +1 lets him reach all 12 corpses nearby. Area of Effect os for 12 individuals since if he used an Area they would drop to the ground if they went beyond that area, and he wants them to move beyond the bounds of the house.

So there is a bit of a difference between the two ranges. I like Wiggy's range ruling, for Force type in combat control. So I have no idea how to reconcile the two, and I don't care. I think Wiggy's ruling is the cooler ruling and would make for a more swashbuckling type of atmosphere.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis uses that entry because (as you rightly say), the corpses would fall down outside the area. Page 123... "The Area column is used for spells which blanket an area. Individual targets within the area are affected by the magick, but only for so long as they remain in the area." Also, the center of the area of effect must be chosen when the spell is cast, and cannot be altered.

Range is normally the distance between the caster and most target. But in your dagger example, it makes sense to consider this how far control can extend (coupled with line of sight so you can actually see what the dagger is doing or where foes are).

CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that logic. And it is how I am writing up my adventure idea, and my fanfic.

On a tangent. How would Louis control his zombies? by voice within earshot? Any Force type control possible to have a silent mob of walking dead shamble towards the party? Could Louis cast a second spell to give him some range of control?
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizards really need to be obvious. Magick is showy and wrong by nature. Giving orders is the most logical means.

CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an obvious wizard is a good way to become a dead wizard though.

I am playing my Alchemist as carefully as I can publicly, although the heavy potion/tonic use has made the group curious. My stock answer is that I am a new type of Doctor using the newfound chemical discoveries to improve upon my medical knowledge. "It's from Stuttgart! We live in a modern age of Miracles!"

Quiet, subtle mages get to be old mages. Smile
Althalus

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My stock answer is that I am a new type of Doctor using the newfound chemical discoveries to improve upon my medical knowledge. "It's from Stuttgart! We live in a modern age of Miracles!"

Our alchemist insists, that all she does is "Pure science!" - and as there is only one other scholar among the group, who is a purely theoretical type, nobody bothers to scrutinise this.
The musketeer who needs her healing-potions most won´t even tolerate too much questions on this topic. Laughing Better to feign ignorance than loose the source of life-keeping fluids. Wink
CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group is in the same position. Since my character is an actual Doctor he is able to bluff convincingly and sneer at any person asking questions.

There is another Doctor in the group, but he has wilfull ignorance and a strong Dresdenesque sense of deniability. Especially since I mazed out a healing potion roll and sealed his stomache shut after being disembowelled.

Of course now he has need of my special services, so that is a whole new ball of problems.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: