Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magick and Trades Skills

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Magick and Trades Skills Reply with quote

Is there an official position on what Magick can do in regards to fine work or trade skills?

We discussed in another thread the creation of earthworks by a geomancer, or transmuter, (or whatever other art could create such things, creative minds may figure methods out).

earthworks can involve quite calculated contruction, if you do not want them to fall in on you and crush your troops. That got me to thinking just how precise can Magick be used by the wielder?
There are examples in the book of magicians using magick to perform tasks that actually involve a fair amount of skill

On the simple skill level, could a floromancer or transmuter have a tree chopped down, branches stripped and the lumber piled into cordwood? Could boards be cut? Timbers measured to lengths?

Could a hut be contrstructed of all the wood in the area?

Could a transmuter/ geomancer/ floromancer change a length of wood to a sword? If so, could it cut? would it be sharp? how good a sword would it be? Would it help if the magician had skills in metalworking and sword construction?

Could a geomancer make rocks stack to form a wall? If so, would it be stable and well fitted or could it be knocked down at a touch, what if he was a mason? Could he add mortar to make a permanent wall?

And could a floromancer, commanding paper and ink have a book written, or copied, or his ideas written down by Magick? Could he dictate and have the words appear on paper for the length of his spell?
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Magick and Trades Skills Reply with quote

CanuckAlchemist wrote:
Is there an official position on what Magick can do in regards to fine work or trade skills?

No, but common sense should apply.

I know what a sword looks like. I may also have magic. Whether I could create a properly built sword or just make a piece of metal assume the shape is vastly different -- the former will be properly forged, the latter probably break or bend. Could a floromancer write eloquently enough to explain a very complex subject without knowledge of how to put pen to paper himself? Stacking rocks to make a wall may produce a wall, until someone leans on it. Magick is not perfect, and what looks good may in fact by very shoddy work.

In game terms, the easiest way is to use Skill synergy where it directly applies. Magus Henri transforms a stick into a sword. It looks like a sword, but it's just a piece of sharp metal, prone to bending. Magus Louis has Craft: Blacksmith. He not only gets +2 dice, his sword is constructed properly, with proper balance and strength.

The GM is quite within his rights to say the former sword loses 1L damage after each hit it delivers, while the latter is a true sword.

But it depends as much on how he sees magick, and its use or abuse, in the game.

The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I am reluctant to allow Magick to actually create fine or detailed objects. I have no problem with Transmutation changing wood to metal, for example, but I do have a problem with it now becoming a sword as well. That is touching on the area of Craft and, for me, is far too D&D like for comfort.

I think we also need to be a careful about the meaning of words. A wall is defined in Wikipedia as "A wall (from Old English weall) is a vertical structure, usually solid, that defines and sometimes protects an area." Just because a Geomancer creates a "wall" doesn't mean it is made up of nicely stacked rocks and bricks - it is likely to be, as Wiggy mentioned, very crude in nature.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: