Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thrust, Feint, and Slash?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gundark

No Cards!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Thrust, Feint, and Slash? Reply with quote

The Thrust, Feint and Slash Maneuvers bother me. I understand that there are no rules given for these and that the individuals that trained in a particular style get a bonus or a penalty.

Yet there is no rules given for them. So if I am trained in Anatomie I can just spam thrust and get a +1 die to my pool? This seems off to me.

Are there rules for Thrust, Slash and Feint somewhere? Or does anyone have any suggestions as what rules to give these maneuvers
mitchw

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a common question and here is an (I believe) official answer from another thread.

Quote:
Slash and thrust are no different to punch and kick -- both are basic attack forms. It's all about how you describe your attack. Typically, you'd always use your best attack form, but circumstances might not allow that -- it's hard to slash your sword in a confined space, for example.

Feint is just a trick, so it uses the Tricks rules.

Mitch
The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned in the first answer, the use of Thrust and Slash really comes down to description in the battles.

A lot of the time I allow the players to use their preferred attack and gain the bonus but there are times when I will restrict these options. This has worked well enough to actually have one of the players take a second fencing style that covers these weaknesses. In our game last night he switched from Del Rio to Anatomie because of the way the fight was progressing.

That said, there is an optional rule provided by TAG which basically does away with the +1/-1 issue with manoeuvres and just compares styles to styles to determine if either swordsman gains an advantage. I think this optional rule is described in the Richelieu's Guide to Fencing and Paris Gothique.

TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thrust, Feint, and Slash? Reply with quote

Gundark wrote:
The Thrust, Feint and Slash Maneuvers bother me. I understand that there are no rules given for these and that the individuals that trained in a particular style get a bonus or a penalty.

Yet there is no rules given for them. So if I am trained in Anatomie I can just spam thrust and get a +1 die to my pool? This seems off to me.

No different to taking Melee and having a Swords specialty. You're going to use a sword whenever possible. The bonuses are there to be used as often as you can -- Fencing styles give you that edge over just having Melee. That said, you can't thrust a rope to breaking point, and slashing a foe might not be possible in a crowded fight (such as inside a carriage).

Quote:
Are there rules for Thrust, Slash and Feint somewhere? Or does anyone have any suggestions as what rules to give these maneuvers

Fencing Schools has an alternate set of rules that do away with the table, as The Git says. Nothing fancy or long-winded.

Feint is just any Trick made using a blade. Fencing Schools 2 has a specific Feint maneuver for those who want it. Otherwise, slash and thrust are just descriptive terms, like punch or kick.

Gundark

No Cards!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up fencing schools and fencing schools 2. Thanks
Althalus

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I´m new to the forum and Ubiquity - and from Austria, so please forgive me, if I´m not always using the correct words. Wink

Being a long-time GM in diverse systems and settings, the question about Thrust/Slash seemed odd to me - the table is there, it just lacks the explanation. Wink
My house-rule is to use the bonus or penalty both ways, meaning you use, say a thrust, you get +1. On the other hand, if your opponent is also a schooled fencer (Fencing, not Melee) and attacks you with a Slash, for which your school gives -1 penalty, this applies also to your Defense.

This leads to some interesting tactical considerations and I already heard some of my players plan for learning additional styles.

Question for Wiggy, btw: Where did you get the ideas for certain fencing schools? I´m a historical fencer, interpreting and teaching the "Dardi" School, which ist better known as "Bolognese Tradition" - and the cape is not our unique feature. Wink Our style is more widely known for sword & buckler and greatsword. Cool
But it´s really nice to see at least some historical styles named, even if their techniques differ. It´s swashbuckling after all!
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums!

Althalus wrote:

Question for Wiggy, btw: Where did you get the ideas for certain fencing schools? I´m a historical fencer, interpreting and teaching the "Dardi" School, which ist better known as "Bolognese Tradition" - and the cape is not our unique feature. Wink Our style is more widely known for sword & buckler and greatsword. Cool
But it´s really nice to see at least some historical styles named, even if their techniques differ. It´s swashbuckling after all!

They're a mix of plundering Wikipedia for actual school names (though as you noted not necessarily their true styles) and whatever came out of my head. Smile

I suspect Dardi came from this line on Wikipedia... "The side-sword was used in combination with various defensive weapons, including a shield (brocchiero, rotella or targa), a dagger, a gauntlet or a cape." Having a school with a cape just sounded cool. Smile

Althalus

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Having a school with a cape just sounded cool.

Oh, it is - in fact, it´s one of my favorite left-hand-weapons. Some very dirty techniques in the manuals.

Quote:
though as you noted not necessarily their true styles

Was it intentional to have Thibaults "Magic Circle" dissected in three diagrams for Geometria? If so, then it´s a nice easter egg. Smile
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Althalus wrote:
Was it intentional to have Thibaults "Magic Circle" dissected in three diagrams for Geometria? If so, then it´s a nice easter egg. Smile

It seemed like a nice variant on the general idea.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: