Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Misc. Ruling Questions, Setting, etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Althalus

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In that regard, it isn't a direct parallel to the real world maneuver.

Ah, OK, that would translate as Contratempo in rapier-play. Wink
Quote:
You give up your attack for a higher Defense, with the added chance of doing some damage.

I got this right, then. But the parry maneuver without any talent doesn´t really strike me as useful - except when hoping for reinforcements, that is.
Quote:
However, combine the Parry and Riposte Talents and that's a reflexive Parry maneuver with the added benefit of possible Riposte damage against every attack in the round, plus you retain your normal attack opportunity. Potentially very nasty.

That´s what I had in mind, when reading the Talent-description. Twisted Evil
To handle multiple opponents, I would impose the -2 per opponent not just for the defense/parry but to the riposte also.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Althalus wrote:
Ah, OK, that would translate as Contratempo in rapier-play. Wink

Always good to learn something new. Smile I haven't fenced in over 20 years, and that was just straight foil.

Quote:
I got this right, then. But the parry maneuver without any talent doesn´t really strike me as useful - except when hoping for reinforcements, that is.

Waiting for reinforcements, retreating (and potentially luring a villain to ground that suits you or otherwise exposes him to more danger), sizing him up (guessing at his dice pool before attacking, using a School special Talent that requires parrying first, etc.

Quote:
That´s what I had in mind, when reading the Talent-description. Twisted Evil To handle multiple opponents, I would impose the -2 per opponent not just for the defense/parry but to the riposte also.

Yep, the -2 would apply, since it's a defensive move first and foremost.

Althalus

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I haven't fenced in over 20 years, and that was just straight foil.

A good base for thrust-oriented fencing, although more related to 18th-century smallsword than 17th century rapier-fencing.
I´m mostly fencing sidesword (with dagger, cloak and a variety of shields added), two-handed sword, a little rapier and sabre. And for a little colour I add a bit of 19th century Boxe francaise and french stick-fencing.
Just a typical AfO-GM ... Wink
grindoctor

No Cards!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:
AFO, p. 100: "When a Melee attack is made against him, substitute your Melee rating for your Active Defense in your Defense roll." [my bold]

Originally the skill rating did replace the entire Defense pool. Jeff changed it a long time ago, as it was decided that was largely of no benefit to many characters who did nothing but parry for the round. Even with Melee 7 and Defense 6, why give up your attack for one die extra in defense? Both AFO and LOA use the "new" version -- Skill rating + Passive Defense when parrying, blocking, or dodging.

Very nice, indeed! I should definetively read those paragraphs in AFO which I thought I knew from HEX Embarassed
Guess I have to fix the Old West HEX RPG (private edition) as well!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: