Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Misc. Ruling Questions, Setting, etc.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
furashgf

No Cards!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Misc. Ruling Questions, Setting, etc. Reply with quote

1. Are there any rules for simulating Savate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savate) - it's a French Karate that would have been around at the time, but not formalized as a martial art yet.

2. Exalted and Scion (World of Darkness Games) let the game master provide extra dice to a player on any roll: (1 dice) good description; (2) good description making up environmental elements); (3 dice) super awesome description of how cool the action is. Since AFO is simulating, for most of us, impossibly cool action, is there a mechanic like this? Is there a way to use style points for this without disrupting the mechanics.

3. I'd like to provide my Musketeers with a supernatural bonus that, except for a handful, no one is aware of. Simply being a loyal musketeer (i.e., not a planted spy) and wearing your tabard grants you some kind of minor benefit. Does anyone have any suggestion on what this should be? A version of the Luck talent? Something else?
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. It's basically Brawl with its spezializations, supplemented by talents like Agile, Block, Counterstrike etc.

2. Thats what Style Points are for in AFO. Boosting Dice or Talents are one of their main functions.

3. Maybe Lucky or a "secret" style point per session, which is activated in dire situations.

Deuce

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of benefit are you looking for? Defense/Offense? A social bonus? Maybe a bonus on Willpower rolls?

One nice thing about the Ubiquity system is that it's very open-ended for grafting genre-specific rules to, so don't hesitate to experiment! Smile
Althalus

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Are there any rules for simulating Savate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savate) - it's a French Karate that would have been around at the time, but not formalized as a martial art yet.

Sorry for thread-necromancy, but that´s a thing, I stumbled upon myself.

First, Savate´s got nothing in common with Karate. Wink
Savate means "Old shoe" and depends a lot on wearing such. At this time (1636) it´s a form of unarmed fighting of street-thugs, taught in back-alleys and backrooms of brothels.
Interesting in game-terms is the fact, that before the 1850´s it used the hands exclusively for blocking - attacks were made by kicks alone.

It´s in fact "foot-boxing", as it was later called by the British.

If you stick to historical facts, you have to drop the School of Pugilism all together and replace it with a School of Boot-boxing.

But as we don´t have to be historically correct, mirror Pugilism, with all the unique Talents transferred to kicks only. Prime skill would be Brawl, spezialization "Kicks".

Note, that at this time, there were no high kicks - they were added much later. So when a character kicks his opponent in the head, this is really unusual (and stylish). Wink
grindoctor

No Cards!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question about a talent:
Riposte: If the defender has more successes than the attacker, these successes are the Riposte damage. Does that mean, the attackeer just get the damage, or is he allowed to make a defense roll against it? I would allow a passive defense roll, but what is the official rule?
Thanks for the help in advance!
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is a Melee version of Counterstrike, which came from a HEX book, I've checked the Exile Games forums. Alas, nothing raised on this matter that I can find.

I see it as a free attack, so Defense works normally. At Level 1 your Riposte is weak, but it works to reduce Active Defense for multiple attacks in the same round. At higher levels, your attack is more accurate as your Active Defense increases, giving you a better die pool and an improved chance of causing damage.

grindoctor

No Cards!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I skimmed the EGS forums - and this one - with the same result as you, Wiggy Very Happy
The active defense reduction sounds good to me! I thought that the conversion from defence successes directely to damage would be too hefty.

But I do not think the Riposte is weak at Level 1, as you can parry and attack, although you give up your attack action Wink using your Melee or Fencing pool (often better than the defence value).

A follow-up question: As it is a counter-ATTACK would you allow a weapon bonus? Personally, I would allow the defence bonus from a bucklers and Main gauche as it applies to the Parry action, but no other weapon boni.

Thanks for the fast reply!
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grindoctor wrote:
A follow-up question: As it is a counter-ATTACK would you allow a weapon bonus? Personally, I would allow the defence bonus from a bucklers and Main gauche as it applies to the Parry action, but no other weapon boni.

I'd go with you on this one.

Althalus

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why no weapon-bonus (assuming you´re referring to the damage, e.g. 2L for a rapier)?
A riposte is just a direct counter-attack after a parry (even in "real" fencing-terms), so it has the same potential to inflict damage than every other attack.

When I parry a thrust I can keep my point aligned towards my adversaries chest. The riposte therefore would be a thrust just after the successful parry.

In movie-terms it´s the backward-leaning parry followed by the forward-rocking thrust you often get to see in classical fencing scenes.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maneuver is technically a damaging parry. In order to use a weapon's offensive bonus, the description would have to say make a parry as normal, then roll your weapon dice separately. Slight as it may be, it's an added thing to remember in combat.

Also, it grants a free attack against every opponent who attacks you in the round, so having no weapon bonus apply helps tone it down a notch.

TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grindoctor wrote:
But I do not think the Riposte is weak at Level 1, as you can parry and attack, although you give up your attack action Wink using your Melee or Fencing pool (often better than the defence value).

Melee/Fencing + Body for Parry, so it's even more dice. Smile

grindoctor

No Cards!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:

Melee/Fencing + Body for Parry, so it's even more dice. Smile

Hm, I just read about that somewhere here or in the EGS forum.
Is the Body/Passive defence rating now offically added to defence maneuvers? IIRC, the used skill rating replaces the defence rating.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFO, p. 100: "When a Melee attack is made against him, substitute your Melee rating for your Active Defense in your Defense roll." [my bold]

Originally the skill rating did replace the entire Defense pool. Jeff changed it a long time ago, as it was decided that was largely of no benefit to many characters who did nothing but parry for the round. Even with Melee 7 and Defense 6, why give up your attack for one die extra in defense? Both AFO and LOA use the "new" version -- Skill rating + Passive Defense when parrying, blocking, or dodging.

Althalus

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In order to use a weapon's offensive bonus, the description would have to say make a parry as normal, then roll your weapon dice separately. Slight as it may be, it's an added thing to remember in combat.

Ah, a misunderstanding of the talent on my side, then. I always thought of Parry & Riposte as a necessary pair: parry, than counter-attack.

If Riposte is Parry+Counter in one package, than it could get really nasty.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripste doesn't include the Parry Talent, so you need to perform the Parry maneuver. You give up your attack for a higher Defense, with the added chance of doing some damage. Very handy against swordfodder, where one wound drops them.

However, combine the Parry and Riposte Talents and that's a reflexive Parry maneuver with the added benefit of possible Riposte damage against every attack in the round, plus you retain your normal attack opportunity. Potentially very nasty.

The key thing with the Riposte Talent is that you attack as part of the Parry maneuver (whether reflexive or not), rather than parry the blow and then make a separate attack. In that regard, it isn't a direct parallel to the real world maneuver.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: