Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Talismans vs Rating or Skill increases

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Talismans vs Rating or Skill increases Reply with quote

I've been plaring an Alchemist character for some time now, and enjoying it immensely. I went down the Patron path (Level 2 so far)to give me some Skill boosts and access to his Resources.

I am thinking of getting a Talisman rather than going for a skill increase because if I choose carefully a Talisman is more powerful and effective than a skill increase, in its particular field. Choice is important.

15 points can give a Skill Focus of +2 to a skill rating, or it can give a +2 offset to a complication in ritual completion, as long as the complication is from the specific column the Talisman applies to.

So if you choose the column you use most you get more 'bang for your buck' by taking a Talisman. In any other situation the Talisman is worthless, but play to your strengths and you get a lot of benefit.

The benefit is that the +2 removes 2 complications from the Ritual total. So 2 complications removed is 4 dice on an average roll. The +2 dice from a Skill focus Talent is only 1 Success on average. So spending XP on Talismans increases the speed of casting by lowering the complications faster than the same XP adds dice to succeed on Average in meeting those complications.

So which areas to focus on first? Depends on your style and campaign. As an Alchemist/Doctor ny character hides his work as balms and salves produced as medicine, and a hobby of really nice perfume and cologne. I would go for Skill effects and get a +4 Skill boost for free. The Effects table is the same whether normal casting or extended duration or labwork is being done, so it could help anywhere. My other option might be Opposed rolls to make stronger Healing potions and other Opposed Roll effects.

For regular casters, I think I might be inclined to go with Range as the first one, especially if I was a caster who cast spells in public. Most spells use a range of 2 to get to the target, so removing that complication speeds up every spell you cast.

For enchanters who are making items and using them to hide their Magick I would go extended Duration. This gives a caster 3 days of effect for no chanting time.

Area of Effect People allows a caster like a Homomancer to affect up to 4 people with skill reducing effects with no casting time. This is a nice subtle effect. They are just 'off their game', muscle stiffness or chills, or sweaty hands, clumsy footwork etc.

Faster casting times allows a spell to go into effect while something is happening, which is sometimes difficult to do when you start sorting out all the factors you need to cover with your complications.

Anyone else have any ideas for subtle uses of Talismans?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: