Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Talented Opposition

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Talented Opposition Reply with quote

The quiet state of the board and the post about not enough manpower to put AFO content out hit home. I like AFO, and want to see more material for it.

With that in mind I will post a beginning opponent for GM's to use. An NPC opponent, or character to interact with.

The Charismatic Fencer

He's a good looking scoundrel who uses his looks to get what he wants. He wants more for himself, and is greedy about it. sadly he ends up on the wrong side of the law much of the time, such is his lot in life. He is a sneaky fighter, and fights with a flair that is astonishing to watch.

He is adept in social situations, and can woo women with enviable ease.

He uses the Talented Ally build for construction: 15 Stat points, 15 Skills, and 2 Talents or Resources (pg 43) This gives him the same starting strength as a player, minus the skills bonus and resource bonuses.

Stats

Body: 2
Charisma: 6
Dexterity: 2
Intelligence: 2
Strength: 2
Willpower: 2

Init: 4
Perception: 4
Move: 4
Size: 0
Defense: 4
Stun: 2

Health: 4

Skills:
Fencing: Del Rio : 11 (6 base and 5 skill)
Athletics: 4
Con: 8
Diplomacy:8
Intimidation: 7
Streetwise: 7
Firearms: 4

Talents: Charismatic, Bold Attack (Fencing)

He is the charming rogue. His 6 charisma stat gives him a huge edge in social situations, and in fighting with Bold attack.

Improving him: Bold Defense will increase his defense to 8, which will make him very tough to hit. Fencing School will increase his combat skills and a level 2 in Fencing School will allow him to borrow Talents and special moves of the school.

Anyone else have any builds they want to post? We could make a rogues gallery of toons for folks to copy and use in their games.
Runeslinger

Three

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea!

I shall retreat to the archive after work and see what interesting folk I have to share~
The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build CanuckAlchemist. This could be a fun thread but I don't have anything to offer at the moment. I'll see what I can come up with.

CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Helpful Merchant Reply with quote

Here is a subtle one. Not a flashy opponent, but a possible resouce or source of income (private tutoring, attendance at parties etc). If his secret is discovered he can be a tough foe, or a source of magickal training to a party member.

Maurice the Ice Merchant

Body: 2
Charisma: 2
Dex: 2
Intelligence: 3
Willposwer: 4
Strength: 2

Init: 5
Perception: 7
Move: 4
Defence: 4
Stun: 2

Skills
Cryomancy 8
Hydromancy: 7
Diplomacy: 4
Streetwise: 4
Academics (business) 4
Bureaucracy: 4
Craft (Carpentry): 4
Fencing: (3)

Talents:
Magick, Refuge. (His storage building and office)

Maurice is an avergage looking man who has a solid business selling ice. He is new to Paris, and is just establishing his business, but the quality of his ice is excellent, and his price is very reasonable.

To introduce the players to him he can be a student at whatever fencing school they attend, or he invites them to a small party at his home. He is a poor fencer, but tries hard and is very enthusiastic. He is a fan of Musketeers and anything Royalty related.

As an NPC he is there to provide comic relief, some extra money, or be an adventure hook as he struggles against the established ice sellers in the city.
His secret is that he can craft wooden molds, fill them with water and then use his hydromancy to purify the water, and his Cryomancy to freeze the water. He is careful to harvest ice blocks and store them, he has workers who see to that. His gift is that he can supplement the ice, even out of season. His ice is very clean and good tasting. He sells to the wealthy so they can have cold drinks and cool food.
CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Counter Fencer Reply with quote

Well no one is posting ideas, but I am still messing aound with character ideas.

Renaldo the Renoir Counter Fencer

Body: 3
Charisma: 2
Dex: 3
Intelligence: 2
Willpower: 2
Strength: 3

Init: 5
Perception: 4
Move: 6
Defence: 6
Stun: 3

SkillS

Renoir 8 (10)
Leaving a few blank, I am posting this to rough out a character for a debate with TheGit

Resources/Talents
Fencing School 1 (Renoir)
First Strike

So: Basic Opponent, beginning character stats. Has first strike and Renoir. With a rapier this gives him 12 dice plus manouver bonuses for combat. If he can arrange it he gets a free shot at the person stepping in with Frist Strike, then attacks normally. This should drop most opponents.

Advancing
15 points: fencing school 2: Grants bonus resource. Allows him to borrow a talent or resource. Assuming he is focused on combat he plans to borrow Parry (building his fencing master to borrow directly from him, or the school in general depending on house rules).

This will allow him to get a first strike as opponent steps in, Parry their attack, (at 12 dice pool), then attack normally.

next 15 points: Riposte (ignoring the min/max oppostunities to develop the fencing school and bnus resources.)

This grants the first strike, a reflexive Parry and reflexive attack, and then a regular attack. 3 attacks on the first person to move in on you. At 12 dice each, that will probably drop the person.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Counter Fencer Reply with quote

CanuckAlchemist wrote:
This grants the first strike, a reflexive Parry and reflexive attack, and then a regular attack. 3 attacks on the first person to move in on you. At 12 dice each, that will probably drop the person.

A whirling wall of steel slicing up anyone stupid enough to come close enough. Should give the rest of his foes something to think about while they watch their comrade's corpse slide into separate parts.

The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanuckAlchemist wants a debate with me but, in all honesty, I like the build and the XP progression. CanuckAlchemist already knows this really because we discussed it on the 'phone; thief Wink

Seriously, the Counter Fencer is a good build but, ultimately, using CanuckAlchemist's progression, he is a bit one dimensional. He'd make a great and challenging NPC opponent though. CanuckAlchemist hasn't figured out yet that he's just supplying me with the enemies for the campaign I'm running for him and the rest of my game group Twisted Evil

Oh, for those who are wondering, First Strike is described in Richelieu's Guide to Fencing Schools.

TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot him. The fencer, not CanuckAlchemist. Better yet, let you minions shoot him to lower his Defense pool, then you shoot him.

The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:
Shoot him. The fencer, not CanuckAlchemist. Better yet, let you minions shoot him to lower his Defense pool, then you shoot him.

Already ahead of you mate. Can't wait for Sunday - then we'll see what they think of ten well trained Spanish guerrillas hidden in dense woods Shocked Swords? bah...grenades and guns are much more fun...

CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative plan for the build, which I admit maxes on on the cheese factor Rules as Written.

Starting Resources/Talents
Fencing 1
First Strike

15 XP
Level 2 fencing
Parry (bonus) borrowed for use

30 XP
Fencing Level 3
fencing Level 4 (from bonus at level 2)
Parry (borrowed from level 4 School)

While you no longer get Riposte you get a level 4 Patron and a +4 bonus to all your skills that you share with the Patron.

So when you build the Patron give him the same skills that you have. This means you get +4 in Social skills for social scenes, +4 on Investigation, Warfare, bureaucracy, Con, and streetwise, even firearms and Athletics so you can throw grenades and shoot at people.

A +4 bonus is huge in the game. 2 Successes on average, and represents a sizable investment in experience for a character. To get firearms up by 2 from a (for example) starting level of 3 would mean 15 points for a skill aptitude talent (for a general rating increase) or 17 experience to raise the level by 2. (8 and 10 points to go to level 4 and 5). And you might have 5 or more shared skills witha Patron.

Houserules may negate a lot of this. But as I mentioned above, and in the Experience points thread. Once you start getting into the top areas of the charts you get a lot of synergy bonuses.

And while I will regret on a character level writing up NPC's that will be used against me. It does prove that the characters I have written are useful for GM's, which was the point of the thread in the first place. Smile
The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick point of clarification; when CanuckAlchemist mentions Patron he really means Fencing Master. A minor point but relevant none-the-less; don't want people getting confused with the Patron Resource.

CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: ooops Reply with quote

I do indeed mean the +4 bonus from the Fencing School, not a Patron bonus.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: