Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Follower Resources

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Follower Resources Reply with quote

Interesting question for you Wiggy:

My Alchemist character has an improved follower, this allows his 1 Talent or resource, which I took as Alchemy. The lackey can now help make potions.

If I improve him again he gets 3 more Stat poins, 5 more skills and 1 Talent or Resource. If I take Talisman: Alchemy level 1, would that Talisman be usable when my character makes potions and the lackey helps me? (takin 2 complications off the total rating)

Could my character borrow the Talisman? The lackey uses the lab resource fohis own potions, as well as making potons as directed by the Alchemist. Can you borrow a Resource from a lackey like that?
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Follower Resources Reply with quote

CanuckAlchemist wrote:
If I improve him again he gets 3 more Stat poins, 5 more skills and 1 Talent or Resource. If I take Talisman: Alchemy level 1, would that Talisman be usable when my character makes potions and the lackey helps me? (takin 2 complications off the total rating)

No. All the lackey is doing is throwing dice at you as an assistant. He isn't doing the creating.

It's also arguable that talismans can't be used by alchemists. The rules don't disqualify them, but there's an implication it needs one Tradition and one specific Art, rather than the general Tradition and Art of alchemy. Best talk to your GM for his interpretation of the rules.

Quote:
Could my character borrow the Talisman? The lackey uses the lab resource fohis own potions, as well as making potons as directed by the Alchemist. Can you borrow a Resource from a lackey like that?

What lackeys will and won't do with their property is a question I can't answer -- I don't control them in play.

CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Alchemy is both tradition and art (pg 119), so an Alchemy talisman would be both tradition and art, and only benefit Alchemists so I don't see a problem there. I guess you could go even more restrictive and say Alchemy for making homomancy potions only, and limit it even further than the generic Alchemy Art (which can copy most of the other arts.) That strikes me as a little restrictive but with planning is not a huge problem. If you wanted a skill or Stat boost you take homomancy or benignus for example. Making 'grenades' could be pyromancy damage column etc.

As for the form, it could be the calibrated instruments mentioned on pg 49, or just a 'lucky' (ie Magickal) charm like all the other Talismans are supposed to be (from page 128). Wearing it while making the potion would allow the benfit of the item.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, officially there's no issue with an alchemist having a Talisman -- he's using his XPs to pay for the bonus. But house rules trump setting rules. Smile

The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of this is probably directed at me so I'll throw in my penny's worth.

I don't have a problem with Alchemists using Talismans but I am inclined (as I mentioned to CanuckAlchemist many moons ago) to rule that an alchemical Talisman should be based on calibrated tools and instruments (as CanuckAlchemist correctly states are talked of on pg 49 of the AFO book).

The ruling that a lackey's Talisman will not help if the lackey is providing a teamwork bonus is one I hadn't considered but definitely makes sense - thanks Wiggy.

With regards to a lackey allowing his master to use the Talisman, that will have to come down to roleplaying and circumstances. A lackey is a servant not a slave and, as such, still has certain rights (even if those rights aren't very obvious in 17th century France). It's unlikely that a lackey is going to let what is likely his most prized and precious possession out of his sight no matter how loyal he is to his master. That said, it is always possible (with the right amount of persuasion and justification) that the lackey will put the needs of the party first if the the situation is dire enough.

As always, these are just my own thoughts that are likely to prevail in my campaign.

CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am thinking of lab work use of the item, so let's use that for the first example.
Lackey is progressed and gains a new resource and gets a Talisman. he is still helping in the lab making batches of potions. Let's say they are calibrated instruments.
So teh master wants to make a bacth of potions,a dn asks to use the instruments, and have the lackey help make the batch (to get the +2 dice bonus).
In this case the lackey is helping make the potion and is in the same room. I don't see a problem with it, it may actually be the lackey operating the instruments under direction. The lab work lasts 8 hours, who can say exactly what each person does during that time.

The same argument could be made if it was a charm. Let the Master wear it for the day to help make the potions. As a magick item it does not actually have to be usable, it is a trapping for the effect. Saying calibrated instruments may make more sense in one respect, but if a lucky charm can help a caster out, so can a charm for an alchemist, it's Magick. Smile

In exchange the Master may allow/grant the lackey the personal use of the lab to make a batch of potions for his own use. Or make a batch of high end potions and give one to his lackey. In the game The Git is running I told him I was giving a +2 Willpower potion lasting 3 days to my lackey, and 3 days in the lab to make potions for his own use. I'd already done the same thing with 12 hour duration potions.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: