Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The (failed) assassination of Richelieu

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Althalus

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: The (failed) assassination of Richelieu Reply with quote

Don´t know if anyone stumbled upon this, as I found it here (in rather old German), but it would make a formidable adventure hook ...

In August 1636 spanish and bavarian forces unter Infante Ferdinando and Johann von Werth laid siege to Corbie, a fortified town in Picardy. They took the town, but were besieged by french forces in November, when they were thrown out again.

During this siege, one Montresor (a secret protegée of the Duke of Orleans) and Saint-Ibal (a protegée of the Count of Soiffons) planned to assassinate the cardinal, as both of their patrons saw him as a danger to the king.
The war-council was held in Amiens and the conspirators thought this as the perfect place to kill Richelieu, as the cardinal used to stay a while after the council ended and the king left the house. He didn´t even have his bodyguards with him.
So, they planned to make their move after the next meeting on a wink of the Duke of Orleans.

But, as the hour came, the Duke was overcome with such terror, that he fled the steps upward. Montresor, who followed him to remind him, not to let the perfect moment pass, could get nothing out of him but incoherent words.
Meanwhile the Count of Soissons was talking absolutly normal to the cardinal, who therefore never had a clue how close he came that day to being killed (or so it seemed).

But the two conspirators wouldn´t give up so easily. As the cardinal came to the siege-camp, the troops should be mustered in his honor. Therefore the cardinals guards should be placed to the right side of the Count of Soissons troops - which they wouldn´t tolerate, which gave rise to such a quarrel, that pistols were drawn.
Saint-Ibal told the Count to let his troops attack the cardinals´and offered to attack the cardinal himself. But the Count wouldn´t have it and so the quarrel was calmed.

The king went to Chantilly (as suggested by Richelieu), as the siege bored him and diseases were spreading among the army. Richelieu stayed and the invaders capitulated on November 10th and were given safe conduct to leave.

Last edited by Althalus on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:49 am; edited 3 times in total
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article also references the plot.

Brief life story of the Comte de Montresor

Same for the Comte de Soissons

Louis' younger brother was involved in several conspiracies against the King in the 1630s.

Portraits of some of the conspirators and one of the Comte de Treville.

Althalus

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Wiggy, I corrected the spelling of the name (failed to see the long S ...).

What I find most exiting (from an AfO point of view) is the reason for the failure. Gaston d´Orleans is striken by a terrible fear and runs off, before giving the signal, Soissons can´t bring himself to nod off the attack on the cardinal and his troops ...?

It just falls in so nicely with the true nature of (AfO)Richelieu. Twisted Evil
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth is often stranger than fiction. Smile

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: