Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transmutation as an attack
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. But any magician, according to scripture is to be killed, so what is a magician to do? Not use Magick? Does carrying the ability damn you, even if you do not use it? So having been damned, why not use the abilities and do Good, for the sake of doing good.

Will they still be damned? Who knows. But these sorts of choices are what magicians face all the time. Even in your Alchemy supplement you have alchemists transmuting base metals into noble ones to explain the wealth resource. (And I have a bunch of questions on how that is possible if transmutation is not supposed to be possible in a permanent fashion.) Or is it? Can base metal be changed to noble in a permanent fashion?

If an Alchemist does this and donates the money to the Church, is he saved?

Part of this is just mental exercise, seeing what could be done with the abilities in the rules, because when you get to the higher end of the chart you start getting into very big numbers. These are always fun to play around with.
Part of it examines the possibilities in the use of magick to make change in people's, even countries lives. A single player, with support from his comrades, could alter the course of a war, of a country. This is an interesting area for a game to get into. What does that road of good intentions look like? Is it saved comrades and healthy people who have enough to eat that will damn a character ?

Part of this is personal preference. I have run a campaign based on moral choices, and contrived adventures adn situations to place players in situations where the 'right' choice was a matter of fierce debate (40 minutes of discussion during one session) on what the right thing to do was. It gave a depth of game experience that I have not often had.)

It does not have to be about magick. In TheGit's campaign the one player is about to put his whole family at risk in order to uncover information about a plot against France. He is working very hard to minimize the risk, but it is there. So moral choices are not just about magick. But they can be amplified with magick.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it possible? It exists as one means to explain away the Wealth Resource in a more interesting, and alchemical, way than "I own a shop." That's all it does. Magickal or mundane, it doesn't change how Magick works in the slightest or that would be noted somewhere.

Runeslinger

Three

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GIT! wrote:
Shock, horror, gasp - I agree with Runeslinger Shocked

Haha, then I must be on the right track... but surely it is not the first time?
Crying or Very sad

The prospect of running sessions down this road called good intentions is one of the many things which attracted me to the game in the first place. It is nice to see I am in such auspicious company for enjoying that element of the game and setting.

What I absolutely love about the system beyond its ease and speed, is that it turns many magical effects from other games on their heads, rendering effects which are easy in another system hard, or hard rendered easy. That contributes an extraordinary amount of temptation. The difficulty of including real temptation in a game was one of my earlier blog posts: Corruption, the Other White Meat - and it is possibly my holy grail in gaming.

That temptation counts for nothing though without the investment in the setting which includes all the conflicting drives of this period of time, the fear, the desire for knowledge, the certainty of the church, the evidence of one's own experience, the politics of betrayal...

In my own campaign, seeing the players wrestle with the fear of getting caught, the worry about what changes would come in the relationship between the hardcore Musketeer characters, and the magically adroit 'lackeys' was a great thing, and the day that circumstances forced their magic use out in the open has effects still being revealed now.

That so much powerful magic is possible in AfO but its use is such a difficult and possibly damning choice is a rare thing which can contribute a lot of depth to the stories we start. It captures something which games like Mage, which purport to operate under a similar premise often fail to do.
The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runeslinger wrote:
The GIT! wrote:
Shock, horror, gasp - I agree with Runeslinger Shocked

Haha, then I must be on the right track... but surely it is not the first time?
Crying or Very sad

Indeed no, it is not the first time but, considering our recent discussions on the min/max thread, I thought it worthwhile to poke fun at both of us Embarassed

Nice points in the rest of the post BTW.

Runeslinger

Three

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure we both deserve it~

You know, since canuckalchemist brought it up, I have been wondering about summoning a blue whale...
CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea how you would summon one. The odds of one being in the area even at maximum range are pretty slim. And you can't conjure them, sadly.

Now a 100 tonnes of rats pulled from the sewers. That would require a Horror check I think....
CanuckAlchemist

Three

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

summoning big beasties could be used to attack ships, slow down a pursuing ship, (We ran into a school of tuna and they slowed us down, and damaged the hull!), or a whale to ram the boat, a squid to pull men off the decks etc.

floromancers might be able to have seaweed entangle a ship. There are a lot of possibilities. As long as the crew does not kill you as a witch.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> All for One: Régime Diabolique All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: